Premed 101 Forums

Any threads on how to study for MCAT?

Guest mmhs12345

So far I still have yet to come across someone mentioning exactly what they did.

Everyone tells you the obvious: Put your laptops away, study early, take prerequisite courses

But NO ONE ever tells you 1. Go over all the lecture material 2. Do x # of practice questions after you're done studying that topic 3. do practice tests..... or do you do something else or in a different order/combination...? I'm hoping someone with an excellent score an answer this question... thank-you.

So far I still have yet to come across someone mentioning exactly what they did.

Everyone tells you the obvious: Put your laptops away, study early, take prerequisite courses

But NO ONE ever tells you 1. Go over all the lecture material 2. Do x # of practice questions after you're done studying that topic 3. do practice tests..... or do you do something else or in a different order/combination...? I'm hoping someone with an excellent score an answer this question... thank-you.

I scored 13-13-14. All I did was read the TPR Physics book once and did the end of chapter problems. I then did the AAMC practice tests and wrote the exam. All in all about two weeks of studying. Best of luck!

Yes that is actually how I studied, and yes I am fully aware this advice will not help you score well. Unless you happen to be able to study like I am, or have the traits that I have, this plan will be useless to you. I happen to remember things well so I didn't have to study, the same can't be said for everyone. That's why someone writing what they exactly did will not help you succeed on this exam. You have to think about how you do well in your university courses and apply the same strategy. For me, I just read the textbook a few days prior to the exam so that is what I did for the MCAT.

There is no one way to succeed on the MCAT, there are several (possibly infinite). Do what you do best to learn is the only correct strategy. You can't force someone else's methodology on yourself for success. I once tried to attend class so I could learn easier, that failed miserably. I can't learn in lecture while others thrive in that environment.

I scored 13-13-14. All I did was read the TPR Physics book once and did the end of chapter problems. I then did the AAMC practice tests and wrote the exam. All in all about two weeks of studying. Best of luck!

Yes that is actually how I studied, and yes I am fully aware this advice will not help you score well. Unless you happen to be able to study like I am, or have the traits that I have, this plan will be useless to you. I happen to remember things well so I didn't have to study, the same can't be said for everyone. That's why someone writing what they exactly did will not help you succeed on this exam. You have to think about how you do well in your university courses and apply the same strategy. For me, I just read the textbook a few days prior to the exam so that is what I did for the MCAT.

There is no one way to succeed on the MCAT, there are several (possibly infinite). Do what you do best to learn is the only correct strategy. You can't force someone else's methodology on yourself for success. I once tried to attend class so I could learn easier, that failed miserably. I can't learn in lecture while others thrive in that environment.

Totally support this. The people who write MCAT books or tell strategies about success in MCAT classes often overlook this. It is alright to keep a strategy in mind and explore it to find if it works for you, but like the EK verbal guy tells in his book :- "stick to this approach tooth and nail whatever happens or youll fail" - is a huge generalization. All test takers dont have the same mental abilities profile.

You have some options on the table, you have to mix them to see what suits you - books, courses, practice tests n self study.

Totally support this. The people who write MCAT books or tell strategies about success in MCAT classes often overlook this. It is alright to keep a strategy in mind and explore it to find if it works for you, but like the EK verbal guy tells in his book :- "stick to this approach tooth and nail whatever happens or youll fail" - is a huge generalization. All test takers dont have the same mental abilities profile.

You have some options on the table, you have to mix them to see what suits you - books, courses, practice tests n self study.

One often forgets that these courses (I teach an MCAT course as well ironically but I'm willing to sell out for $) are aimed at teaching Joe Average. Unfortunately, no one is identical to the average in every way so while most of what is taught is applicable to the most students it is not all applicable to an individual student.

I agree with the comment above that it is hard to go from what others did since people study differently, having different strengths/strategies, etc. I wrote a little in my blog about my experience with the MCAT (2012 version), if you are interested:

http://abootmedicine.wordpress.com/2012/08/19/the-mcat/

http://abootmedicine.wordpress.com/2012/08/20/mcat-continued/

If you are intending on studying on your own (ie. no course), then there are a bunch of 3 month programs out there, and a couple 4 month programs. They'll tell you exactly what to study on each day. This kind of approach will work if you just need structure.

For me - I liked the flexibility of studying on my own. I used a 3 month program as a basis for how to organize myself, however I modified the program to take my strengths/weaknesses into consideration (ie. more time on chem, less on physics/bio).

For VR - I really like EK's approach.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived