Premed 101 Forums

URGENT: Should I take this research position? Have until end of Dec.3

schumpeter

As you said; you dont' know if you'll get in. So if you don't get in, at the very least this research opportunity will help you network, and develop certain skills you otherwise wouldn't have developed now - if ever.

It's good to be focused on your end game. That's something I've never been good at - I'm too preoccupied with what's happening now. But dont' be so focused on your end game that you miss fantastic opportunities that are happening today.

• 4 weeks later...

Related question to this. I heard during M1 and M2 summers, most med students do clinical research opposed to basic science since it is more doable during 1 summer and easier (?) to publish. Does this mean during your undergrad, is it more advantageous to do ANY clinical research (in any specialty) versus basic science in one of those said ROAD specialties?

I'm in a similar situation as the OP where I don't want to put myself in a bad position, so my first choice would've been doing a ROAD clinical research, but I only managed to find ROAD basic science research. Should I take this gig over a clinical research position in other specialties?

Those from uber competitive specialties may differ, but I don't know how much of a difference the type of research done in undergrad will make to one's eventual residency applications. Just go for whichever project offers the best experience. There will be opportunities to do specialty-specific research once in medical school.

Archived