Premed 101 Forums

Part-time Nursing studies

Jrychlik

Hey pre-med forums!

I've recently started looking into nursing as a "sort of" career change.

Im a 23 ear old male (so still young, that's why its a sort-of) but basically need to keep still making money as I work as a certified ophthalmic assistant.

The reason why ive started looking into nursing is because I feel theres ALOT more room to work with, with a nursing degree than pure ophthalmic certifications. As im young I like to learn many new things and im still don't know what my future will hold, maybe I will want to learn more about anesthetics in the future, maybe more about psychology. I feel that nursing would give me these options in the future.

Basically what im looking for is a few options on obtaining my degree while keeping a part-time (or even a full-time) job. I currently work about 4 days a week and need the income for my mortgage, etc (yes, I have a house at 23).

Another reason is if I were to look into getting into the ophthalmic sector of a hospital in the future. I feel a nursing degree would help me out a TONNE!

I live in the Hamilton Ontario area, so ive been looking at Mcmaster programs as well at Mohawk. Im sure there are quite a few people who have had a career change to nursing, so any 'pointers' or 'hints' for the future will be great too, thanks!

During undergrad I worked for an ophthalmologist doing things a optho tech would do in a clinic, although not certified. It was interesting work but since it was highly specialized it didn't help much in terms of getting through the program.

It's entirely possible to do the program while maintaining a part-time job as I've seen quite a few classmates pull it off. Full-time would be more difficult as classes are usually held during the day and clinical hours are usually out of your control, again dependant on the program, give them a call.

And yes with your experience having a BcSN would definitely help in landing a position within ophthalmology, perhaps post OP cataract surgery or something similar.

• 3 weeks later...

How do you feel the job opportunities between RPNs and RNs look like in the near future?

I feel like an RPN program may be a good stepping stone for me as I need to keep making money while going to school and I have a friend (who is not a nurse) tell me that they are starting to look towards RPNs in the near future, than will switch back to looking at RNs (apparently they do this every so often depending on the economy).

Than after reaching RPN and working as one I can than complete my BSCN afterwards. My main goal is to keep a decent flow of income while studying as I have things to pay for, If the first year of BSCN is the most study heavy than maybe having a less study heavy year, but longer of RPN may be better for me.

I think my main goal in the end of everything is to become a NP, AA, or something of that sort.

RN/RPN scope is almost identical, however RNs are exclusively staffed in areas of higher acuity (ER,NICU, ICU), whereas RPNs are given stable and predictable patient assignments.

RN scope is definitely going to increase heavily over the next 5-10 years. The CNA is working on RN prescribing/diagnosing by 2020 *gasp*. If you're interested in bedside nursing I'd take the RPN route or the RN route if you want to work in a critical care setting and take on leadership positions.

My health authority is going through some interesting staffing changes that affect the nursing workforce called "workplace transformation". Essentially they are laying off RNs/RPNs in lieu of healthcare aides. It's only been executed on a couple of units right now but essentially the ratio is

1(RN):2(LPN):4(HCA), of course this varies depending on the unit.

I'm sure other provinces will implement the same thing as healthcare expenditures balloon out of control, however what this means for patient safety is up for debate.

My advice, go the RN route. If money is a concern you can always work as a HCA (decent wage) after the first or second year of your degree while gaining valuable experience.

Archived