Premed 101 Forums

Advice please

Premed9393

Hi all

Sorry if this is repetitive, just seeking some advice.

My MCAT scores are 9VR, 10PS, 10BS

Undergrad GPA: 3.95-4.0 (both overall and Science)

Graduate GPA so far: 3.95-4.0

EC's: 2 years of ER response; overseas medical volunteering (including shadowing); health promotion; leadership; teaching; community service activities

Research: 3 years and will be 4 starting this January.

I am currently a Master's student and will finish in 2015.

Following is a list of US medical schools I compiled for potential applications:

Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine

Georgetown

Loma Linda

Michigan State

George Washington University

New York Medical College

Oakland

Penn State

Rosalind Franklin U

University of California

Virginia Commonwealth University

Wayne State

Meharry

Medical College of Wisconsin

University of Kentucky

Louisiana

For many of these schools, I fall on or close to the 10th percentile for MCAT Scores. Please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks all for your time.

I also suggest calculating your LizzyM score to help select your schools. Generally I would advise against applying to many schools with a higher LizzyM score than you. Information about this score can be found on SDN, including how to calculate your score, and a list of the scores for each school.

That aside, I think that the list looks good. It's not top-heavy, and it's fairly diverse. The problem is, as you already know, your composite MCAT score is low. As a Canadian/OOS applicant, it's not going to be easy unfortunately. It's still doable, but I suggest adding in some DO schools as well.

Thanks guys for words of encouragement. I was thinking of applying broadly to both US and Canada (if there is a shot). If it doesn't work out, then may be re-writing. The reason I am worried about re-writing is that scores may also go down, especially VR which is so delicate. Any words of advice on this matter would also be very helpful.

Thanks again guys for taking the time.

Thanks guys for words of encouragement. I was thinking of applying broadly to both US and Canada (if there is a shot). If it doesn't work out, then may be re-writing. The reason I am worried about re-writing is that scores may also go down, especially VR which is so delicate. Any words of advice on this matter would also be very helpful.

Thanks again guys for taking the time.

Were your practice scores similar to your actual score or were they significantly better/worse?

They were similar (about 29-31). I was doing 1 point better on PS and BS, and for VR it was mostly 9-11s, although more of the 9s and 10s.

In that case, I don't recommend doing it again. It's too much of a gamble... not to mention that it's essentially an expectation (for US admissions) that the score should increase by a reasonable margin if you take it more than once

Thanks for your advice. I'm still not sure though...considering I am a Canadian applicant which also decreases my chances to begin with. If you know of a Canadian applicant getting into a US and/or Canadian school with these stats, please do post in. Thanks again for taking the time - much appreciated.

Good luck

Best

When I applied to the US and Canada(Finishing 4th year now), I received 6 interviews and 3 acceptances in the states. I had a lower GPA then you, kudos, and an even 30 MCAT. The MSAR was a great resource, but know that the averages are just that - averages. Some get in with lower, some higher, don't be too scared - but also be realistic. Don't only apply to Ivies for example. Albert Einstein of Yeshiva was receptive when I applied, don't forget to include them.

Edit: I didn't end up going to the US, my province school accepted me off wait-list.

When I applied to the US and Canada(Finishing 4th year now), I received 6 interviews and 3 acceptances in the states. I had a lower GPA then you, kudos, and an even 30 MCAT. The MSAR was a great resource, but know that the averages are just that - averages. Some get in with lower, some higher, don't be too scared - but also be realistic. Don't only apply to Ivies for example. Albert Einstein of Yeshiva was receptive when I applied, don't forget to include them.

Edit: I didn't end up going to the US, my province school accepted me off wait-list.

Hi,

Thanks for your response - certainly something that is a huge boost for me! Could you please glance over the list of med schools in US that I posted above, and offer your opinion (similar, need more, less etc.)? Please let me know.

Thanks for your time.

Best

Hi,

Thanks for your response - certainly something that is a huge boost for me! Could you please glance over the list of med schools in US that I posted above, and offer your opinion (similar, need more, less etc.)? Please let me know.

Thanks for your time.

Best

I don't feel knowledgeable enough to help with schools, but I strongly suggest heading over to SDN for a better opinion. The posters on there are much more familiar with the system, and they don't mind helping with school lists. They helped me with my list for the current cycle, and I ended up getting an extra interview because of their advice :)

I don't feel knowledgeable enough to help with schools, but I strongly suggest heading over to SDN for a better opinion. The posters on there are much more familiar with the system, and they don't mind helping with school lists. They helped me with my list for the current cycle, and I ended up getting an extra interview because of their advice :)

Sounds good thanks! :)

I agree with MDHOPEFUL. I highly recommend retaking the MCAT. With your stellar GPA and good ECs, a better MCAT will open A LOT more options for you. Cleveland Clinic will really like your extensive research experience, but their average MCAT was something like 36-37 (someone who goes there told me). I think Rosalind Franklin, George Washington, Penn State, Wayne State, are solid choices with your current GPA and MCAT. Any cali school is extremely hard to get into. Other schools, i'm not sure. Best of luck!

I agree with MDHOPEFUL. I highly recommend retaking the MCAT. With your stellar GPA and good ECs, a better MCAT will open A LOT more options for you. Cleveland Clinic will really like your extensive research experience, but their average MCAT was something like 36-37 (someone who goes there told me). I think Rosalind Franklin, George Washington, Penn State, Wayne State, are solid choices with your current GPA and MCAT. Any cali school is extremely hard to get into. Other schools, i'm not sure. Best of luck!

Thank you for your advice - much appreciated!

Best

Archived