Premed 101 Forums

Rate me / Help choose US medschools

xClashx

Hey guys, I am applying this summer to Canadian and US medschools, and wanted help in picking out medschools to which I can apply to.

Things about me:

Attending: University of Toronto (Currently in my 3rd year)

cGPA: 3.88 --> (2.7 in Sociology and 3.3 in English: do medschools look at individual marks for prereqs?)

sGPA: 4.00

MCAT: 34 (13P, 9VR, 12B)

Requirements

I have taken the following courses which are generally prereqs:

1) Bio

2) General Chem (1 credit) --> 8 semester hours

3) Organic Chem (1 credit)--> 8 semester hours

4) English (1 credit)

5) 1 full sociology credit (I think that is a 6 semester hours)

6) Physics (0.5 credits, this semester I will finish the other half)

Extracurricular

-General Volunteering at Hospital for 2 years (about 120 hours)

-Volunteering in University as Health Educator (240 hours)

-Shadowed a Family Doctor (30 hours)

-Volunteering in Research lab (no pubs., but I will be starting my own project this semester)

-Baseball Team in Grade 11/12 if that makes any difference =/

Any advice is appreciated!

Your numbers are high, so you will get interviews for sure, just write a decent PS. Apply early and get MSAR to double check if the schools your applying to take internationals. Don't apply to too many ivies, since your ECs are weak. They like high numbers, but will take someone with a 3.7 but great ECS over a 4.0 with low ECs.

Hi, I applied this year to US medical schools. Whatever you do, do NOT apply to Brown, UCLA, Columbia, USC and Mayo. They are very unfriendly to international students. I applied with high stats and strong ECs and did not even get interviews. Apply to Dartmouth, Emory, NYU, U. Virginia, Case Western, Cornell, Wash U St. Louis.... these are more friendly to international students but most of them will be major reaches even though your stats are pretty good (the ECs are on the weaker side). More realistic options include Wayne State, Jefferson, Rosalind Franklin, SLU etc. Good luck! PM me if you have any more questions.

Hi, I applied this year to US medical schools. Whatever you do, do NOT apply to Brown, UCLA, Columbia, USC and Mayo. They are very unfriendly to international students. I applied with high stats and strong ECs and did not even get interviews. Apply to Dartmouth, Emory, NYU, U. Virginia, Case Western, Cornell, Wash U St. Louis.... these are more friendly to international students but most of them will be major reaches even though your stats are pretty good (the ECs are on the weaker side). More realistic options include Wayne State, Jefferson, Rosalind Franklin, SLU etc. Good luck! PM me if you have any more questions.

While I agree some of the schools on OP's list are unfriendly to international students (California schools esp.), I interviewed at columbia with good stats, but very average EC's. It was a complete reach for me, but with American schools its best to apply broadly; you will get rejected (pre interview) from some you thought you had a great shot, and interview at some that were pie-in-the-sky dreams.

edit: had a quick look at your schools; I wouldn't apply to Brown, California schools, or Tulane. they say they accept international students, but if you look at their stats there are many years in which they accept 0 (or very, very few) international students. Also I believe medical college of wisconsin is more canadian friendly than wisconsin medical school

While I agree some of the schools on OP's list are unfriendly to international students (California schools esp.), I interviewed at columbia with good stats, but very average EC's. It was a complete reach for me, but with American schools its best to apply broadly; you will get rejected (pre interview) from some you thought you had a great shot, and interview at some that were pie-in-the-sky dreams.

edit: had a quick look at your schools; I wouldn't apply to Brown, California schools, or Tulane. they say they accept international students, but if you look at their stats there are many years in which they accept 0 (or very, very few) international students. Also I believe medical college of wisconsin is more canadian friendly than wisconsin medical school

Columbia may be an exception, because I also know a Canadian who interviewed there. But the other ones are pretty international-unfriendly. But I generally agree with your sentiment since I got interviews at a few top 10s but no interviews from George Washington, USC, Tulane etc. It is too unpredictable, so just apply broadly.

Ya, I think, I will just apply to all of them and hope for the best lol.

Brown has its PLME and GW does have its own BS/MD and international programs, they rarely have many spots for Canadians. Both are super competitive as well lots of applicants per place. Worth a shot if application fee isn't an issue.

Archived