Premed 101 Forums

OT at the Calgary Campus of U of Alberta

Hi!

I'm going to apply to the the University of Alberta for OT and I would prefer to be at the Calgary campus simply because I would have family in the city (I'm from out-of-province). But I'm a little confused about how it operates there. Are there any current students who can give me an idea of how it is to study there? It seems that the Calgary Campus relies a lot on video conference-like classes. Is there much teacher-student interaction? The website is really vague.

Any info is much appreciated!

Hi!

I'm going to apply to the the University of Alberta for OT and I would prefer to be at the Calgary campus simply because I would have family in the city (I'm from out-of-province). But I'm a little confused about how it operates there. Are there any current students who can give me an idea of how it is to study there? It seems that the Calgary Campus relies a lot on video conference-like classes. Is there much teacher-student interaction? The website is really vague.

Any info is much appreciated!

I work there.. I'll PM you.

edit: nvm you don't have PM enabled.. and I'd rather not give away my identity. So maybe change your PM preferences.

I am a first year OT on the Edmonton campus.

From what I see, I think the Calgary cohort really misses out on the true experience of being in OT. It seems like there are always a lot of technological difficulties resulting in Calgary not hearing complete lectures. Professors often don't repeat questions asked in Edmonton to Calgary- so Calgary misses out on that part of lecture fairly often. In addition if prof's bring anything to show Edmonton (pieces of equipment, pizza lunch, etc) Calgary misses out on that.

So I guess what I am saying is that if possible, I would really recommend coming to Edmonton if you want to get everything you can out of the program!

Someone in Calgary can feel free to correct me if they have different views on the topic :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi mmelalala,

I'm a student in the Calgary cohort at U of A, and LOVE it. I think I could speak for most of the students here as well. To be honest, we don't feel like we miss out on much of the experience at all and find the technological difficulties to be minor, at most. In fact, there are often technical difficulties on the Edmonton end as well. We also have many of our own instructors who teach us live from Calgary. The program here is very interactive and we've gotten to know our classmates very well, and all of our instructors know us which is really nice. It's a much more intimate experience here, making group discussions to be very rich in nature. Honestly, the best thing you would need to do is weigh your pros and cons, decide if a small class size is right for you and to determine whether you would rather live in Calgary or Edmonton, as they are very different cities.

We do get pizza lunches AND we have a kitchen in our classroom so we're not missing out on anything there (we even have a Tassimo)!

If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me.

Hi mmelalala,

I'm a student in the Calgary cohort at U of A, and LOVE it. I think I could speak for most of the students here as well. To be honest, we don't feel like we miss out on much of the experience at all and find the technological difficulties to be minor, at most. In fact, there are often technical difficulties on the Edmonton end as well. We also have many of our own instructors who teach us live from Calgary. The program here is very interactive and we've gotten to know our classmates very well, and all of our instructors know us which is really nice. It's a much more intimate experience here, making group discussions to be very rich in nature. Honestly, the best thing you would need to do is weigh your pros and cons, decide if a small class size is right for you and to determine whether you would rather live in Calgary or Edmonton, as they are very different cities.

We do get pizza lunches AND we have a kitchen in our classroom so we're not missing out on anything there (we even have a Tassimo)!

If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me.

Haha! Is this who I think it is?

I am a lucky classmate with beachbum:) Our class is having a blast in Calgary. If you are beyond the "campus" experience, then this is a great place to be!:)

Haha! Is this who I think it is?

I am a lucky classmate with beachbum:) Our class is having a blast in Calgary. If you are beyond the "campus" experience, then this is a great place to be!:)

I would like to third myb and beachbums's thoughts! We are all in the same class together and the Calgary cohort is honestly the best thing ever! The teachers actually give us a lot of attention and take the time to know our names because we are such a tight family! We have the daily opportunity to interact with the second year students getting lots of insight and knowledge of the future year! Definitely worth thinking about! :)

• 1 month later...

Hey, thank you all for the insight. I would have responded earlier to thank you if I had fixed the settings properly to notify me when I received responses. ;-)

I do flourish a lot more in more intimate settings, so maybe Calgary, being smaller, would be a better choice for me. Hopefully, I get in to the program and to the Calgary group!

Archived