Premed 101 Forums

Autobiographical Sketch Question

Hi there

I am a non-traditional applicant. A social worker with 13 years of experience in community health centres, interested in studying towards family medicine. Recently, reviewing the autobio sketch information on U of O Med's website, I noticed something about only the employment experience during undergraduate years being considered. Most, if not all, of my employment experience with the most relevance to medicine is post graduate (after my Master's degree actually, I have a Masters in Social Work). Is it correct that all of that employment experience will not be considered as part of my application?

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Many thanks

Nikki

Unfortunately, they don't. This year's cycle they looked at your top three activities in each category. However, putting in employment or other activities that are not done during your studies will cause no harm (I'm quite certain ottawa will not penalize you). But they won't look at it, however apparently they do look at activities outside of the top three in each category during interviews since the interviewers have your entire sketch with them. Do you have absolutely have no other employment during your undergrad and masters?

Hi there

I was employed during my undergraduate and my Masters, yes. But my employment history most relevant to medicine is certainly after I graduated and started working as a social worker full time. I have some part time employment in social worker during my Masters but I'm under the impression that it is undergraduate activities only. During my undergrad I worked part time in retail and other service jobs, not as a social worker. I am hoping that my work history might be considered, at some point. I guess this is not likely. That's unfortunate.

Hi there

I was employed during my undergraduate and my Masters, yes. But my employment history most relevant to medicine is certainly after I graduated and started working as a social worker full time. I have some part time employment in social worker during my Masters but I'm under the impression that it is undergraduate activities only. During my undergrad I worked part time in retail and other service jobs, not as a social worker. I am hoping that my work history might be considered, at some point. I guess this is not likely. That's unfortunate.

The employment does not have to be health related. I think diversity is actually a good thing. I would include all employment whether health or not health related and if done during or after your studies. Have you taken any CE courses while working as a social worker. Technically that's studying and if you include those CE courses then technically you can include your social work as one of your top three.

Hi. "CE" courses are continuing educaiton course? If so, yes. I think I need to read more about the autobio sketch for Ottawa U. My last application was to Mac. I'm new to Ottawa U's application process. I have an appointment to meet with the Admissions's office on Monday to review my pre requisite courses (there are 3 that I would have to take before applying). I'm not sure my current cGPA is high enough for the cut off though to make it likely that I will get invited to interview (3.76 in my undergrad). Which is why I was hoping my autobio sketch would help

Hi there

I e-mailed them to confirm this year that it is activities during post-secondary education, NOT just undergraduate so you can include activities done during you graduate program. (Correct me if someone heard something different).

Great information thanks. I suspect that my undergraduate GPA is well below the cut off and that none of this will matter anyway. But it's good to know! I do understand and speak French so am considering the French stream as an option as well. I need to learn more about it. This forum is helpful!

Archived