Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Study Method

FeelingHopeful

Hey all!

I am starting my preparation for the MCAT (write date is May 17). Here is what I am thinking of doing in terms of prep. I have the EK books and the 8 AAMC exams. I was going to just study the material until the second last week of February and then at the end of February start doing a practice exam every week.

After completing the 8 exams I will have another 3 weeks left to study.

Personally, I know my weakness is going to be PS. Any tips on approaching this area?

Just wanted to get some input and see what everyone else did in their preparation, and see if anyone had any recommendations in terms of study method.

Thanks!

After each test go through all of your questions and determine what your thinking was (right or wrong) and whether your approach was the most efficient method possible. Pick your weakest area to focus on each week.

Lots of people are nervous for PS, however this is one of the easiest areas to improve. Progress in VR is much slower. I would do one practice test before you start studying to see where you stand (identify your true strengths and weaknesses).

Hey CheerDoc! thanks for the reply!

I completed 2 of the AAMC tests already and scored 13 on verbal on both...PS and BS was not so high however (4 and 5 respectively). I guess with more studying those areas should come up quite a bit?

Like you said, I have heard that verbal is the hardest to bring up so as long as I maintain around that score, the rest (PS and BS) should come up with just studying and practice questions?

For BS and PS, review and practice. Identify your weaknesses and work on improving them. Also, if you're strong in VR try applying the same skills to PS and BS. I was surprised how many answers you could find by reading between the lines in the passages. Try to avoid simple memorization, getting a deeper understanding of the principles involved are much more important.

Something I found helpful for PS: I wrote a cheat sheet out before each practice test with all the equations I would ever need for it. That way when you're writing the tests you can focus on application rather than memorization of questions. Eventually you'll find yourself not needing the cheat sheet anymore.

After each test go through all of your questions and determine what your thinking was (right or wrong) and whether your approach was the most efficient method possible. Pick your weakest area to focus on each week.

Lots of people are nervous for PS, however this is one of the easiest areas to improve. Progress in VR is much slower. I would do one practice test before you start studying to see where you stand (identify your true strengths and weaknesses).

Hey CheerDoc :)

How would you reccomend and improving for VR?

Archived