Premed 101 Forums

2015 intake

Hey everyone!

I figured I would start a thread on those of us that will be applying for the 2015 intake. I know many of you are still waiting for your interviews for the 2014 intake (Good luck to all!), but I myself didn’t apply, thus no interview.

After much consideration and discussion with my wife, I have made the decision start applying to NOSM. Frankly, I have no interest in applying anywhere else. I am from the North and will never leave the North. I currently have a good job, but I know it’s time for a change and try to get into NOSM. It’s been a dream of mine for quite some time, and I am sure I will succeed if I apply.

A little about myself.

I have been married for 3 years to the love of my life. We have a son that is nearly 2 years old with another baby on the way. I have a B.Sc. (Honours) in environmental earth science from Laurentian University, a certificate in environmental practice from Royal Roads University and a M.Sc.A in occupational health from McGill University. I have been working full-time since 2008 at a job I do love, though it is becoming less and less interesting/challenging. I completed both the certificate and Master’s degree through correspondence while working, which kept me motivated to remain in school. Unfortunately my GPA wasn’t very good in my undergrad (3.0 GPA). I did prove to myself that I can do better, and obtained a 3.7 GPA on my certificate and a 3.6 GPA on my masters. To give myself better chances of getting an interview, I’ve just registered at Lakehead for their 3 year Bachelor of Science. I should get 2/3 years transferred over which will allow me to complete the degree by Spring 2015.

I have extensive professional development courses that I took through work, both in the health and environmental fields. As an extracurricular activity, I am on the Community Action Network for my community. As for memberships, I have my metis status with the Metis Federation of Canada, professional certification and also an active member at the local Italian Club. I have also done plenty of volunteering since high school. I have over 500 hours of volunteer with the Special Olympics (2000-2007). Since then I participated in other volunteer activities, mostly representing my company.

I hope that everything I possess, plus being French, will give me a fighting chance at obtaining an interview (though this year may be difficult as I will be applying with the 3.0 GPA + 0.2 from my masters). Hopefully by next year I will be done my second undergrad and will be able to obtain an interview.

Good luck to all and I hope to hear about others whom will be applying in 2014.

Welcome crazyye to the forum and specifically the NOSM sub-forum.

Sounds like you have an interesting background and life experience to draw upon as well as a busy life. Work hard the next little while finishing up your studies and collecting all of the information you need for your application and I suspect you will have a strong application with your second UG.

Beef

Archived