Premed 101 Forums

Hi everybody,

How important is the pre-requisite GPA for UBC admissions? When is it factored into admissions? Mine is terrible... something like 70%, but my other gpa is much better... especially since you get to use your percentages instead of the gpa thing.

Their formula is a mystery but overall seems to matter more than prereq.

Hey UofT

GPA is very important for UBC admissions. It is true that they do not fully disclose how they score GPA, but my understanding is that it is 50:50 GPA and extra-curriculars to this day.

The average entrance GPA and interview GPA is 87% (after correction, e.g. by dropping one bad year). However, 1/3 students accepted each of the last 2 years had a GPA between 80-85.

If your corrected GPA is below 80, past stats indicate that only a handful of students get in to UBC.

(Search Google for their admissions statistics, they publish it openly.)

Their formula is a mystery but overall seems to matter more than prereq.

You're right, the formula is not known. I would agree your last point, it seems they weigh their oGPA and *aGPA most (*where applicable).

Also, stats for those interested are below:

http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/admissions-statistics/

Note, as well, there are considerable differences when looking at interm stats for OOP vs IP interviewed applicants.

Yeah I saw the stats. I am just wondering though if your agpa is something like 85% but your pre-req gpa sucks bc your first year sucked (75%) and you did your pre-reqs (1/2 of the required pre-reqs in first year) and you still need to complete the other remaining courses BUT you have pretty good ECs (pubs, research, tons of volunteer, sports, minor scholarships, etc.) ... will you stand a chance of interview? Like is it worth the move there, and spending 6 months in the province when you could be somewhere else doing a masters program you are interested in (but obv its not as interesting as med). I would be IP. I guess I am asking you to sort of chance me LOL. I know that is annoying but I am trying to justify moving there and if my pre-req gpa will hold me back I might go down another road ya know lol

med school admissions is so confusing these days - I feel like if you mess up on not staying informed and on top of of all avenues and rules and requirements schools can easily be knocked of your list. just like that. as if we can even afford to fish with a smaller net... anyways let me know what you peeps think :)

thanks in advance

Hey UofT

GPA is very important for UBC admissions. It is true that they do not fully disclose how they score GPA, but my understanding is that it is 50:50 GPA and extra-curriculars to this day.

The average entrance GPA and interview GPA is 87% (after correction, e.g. by dropping one bad year). However, 1/3 students accepted each of the last 2 years had a GPA between 80-85.

If your corrected GPA is below 80, past stats indicate that only a handful of students get in to UBC.

(Search Google for their admissions statistics, they publish it openly.)

Haha thanks for giving me hope! Do you mind if I ask if you are a master's student? I think sometimes there is an untold forgiveness for students with a grad degree...

Untold forgiveness won't be given pre-interview. Pre-interview scores are calculated strictly based on GPA and your ECs.

For post-interview scoring, the entire file is taken into account. So untold forgiveness, if any at all, will only apply after the interview.

Hi everybody,

How important is the pre-requisite GPA for UBC admissions? When is it factored into admissions? Mine is terrible... something like 70%, but my other gpa is much better... especially since you get to use your percentages instead of the gpa thing.

its not that important, your agpa is what matters

Archived