Which programs should I be considering?

MartinG

1st year GPA 3.2

2nd year GPA 3.4

3rd year GPA 3.6

4th year GPA 3.9

At U of A.

MCAT 32R. 11PS, 11BS, 10VR.

Master's degree in biological science at the University of Cambridge, UK. One paper published, first author. Started a fundraiser that raised over 80,000 for cancer research, volunteered on a medical mission in Africa, 80+ hours shadowing pediatric oncologist, director of fundraising for a Rotaract Club during University, 8 months of basic science research during undergrad, worked part-time at dentist's office for 3 years during undergrad, played in a band (guitar) with regular gigs (this was in the UK, so no longer together), competitive golf and soccer, and traveled extensively. Currently working as a research assistant/lab technician.

I interviewed 2 years ago at Calgary, before the masters degree, published paper, much stronger references, shadowing and this year was rejected pre interview. Now I am seriously considering all options, including US MD and DO and Caribbean schools. I would like to eventually practice in Canada but residency in Canada is not essential. I want to be a pediatrician.

Any advice?

Thank you.

1st year GPA 3.2

2nd year GPA 3.4

3rd year GPA 3.6

4th year GPA 3.9

At U of A.

MCAT 32R. 11PS, 11BS, 10VR.

Master's degree in biological science at the University of Cambridge, UK. One paper published, first author. Started a fundraiser that raised over 80,000 for cancer research, volunteered on a medical mission in Africa, 80+ hours shadowing pediatric oncologist, director of fundraising for a Rotaract Club during University, 8 months of basic science research during undergrad, worked part-time at dentist's office for 3 years during undergrad, played in a band (guitar) with regular gigs (this was in the UK, so no longer together), competitive golf and soccer, and traveled extensively. Currently working as a research assistant/lab technician.

I interviewed 2 years ago at Calgary, before the masters degree, published paper, much stronger references, shadowing and this year was rejected pre interview. Now I am seriously considering all options, including US MD and DO and Caribbean schools. I would like to eventually practice in Canada but residency in Canada is not essential. I want to be a pediatrician.

Any advice?

Thank you.

Yeah apply broadly across Canada and the states MD. Don't do caribs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I realized now I didn't quite put my GPA in correctly. I guess I was remember myself in a better light.

1st year GPA 2.9

2nd year 3.2

3rd year 3.6

4th year 3.9

Will that make a big difference? Still have a shot at American MD programs? Hopefully the people who already replied will read this.

If I am going to apply to the American MD program, what is the best guide or book that I can consult in order to do this right the first time.

Cheers

Evan

Buy the MSAR, your GPA is a little bit below avg, but your MCAT is decent.

You really have to play up your Masters from Cambridge and your ECs, which look amazing. Write a solid PS and secondaries and you have a chance. Upward trend will be a bit forgiving, but you have to show them with the rest of your app why you are better than the people with higher stats.

32 with two weeks?? Spend a month and retake it you are getting high 30s on your practice exams, especially 8,9,10. You can up it or at least not go down.

Hi again advair,

In your opinion, would it be more beneficial to apply broadly and early by June 3rd, or wait for my new MCAT score to come in for June 17th? (Thats a month after the earliest date to write the MCAT which is available to me.)

Perhaps split them up? Apply to a few MD schools early and all DO schools early than wait to apply to the rest with my shiny new MCAT score? (fingers crossed)

With a masters from Cambridge, upward trend and great ECs, you don't need to apply DO, especially it you can get the mcat up to 35+. See what your practice scores are at and decide then when to apply, applying June 17 is fine. Submit your app and then send updated thx mcat score when avail. When people say apply early, they mean before mid July, all fine

I'd just be a bit careful about rewriting the MCAT before you create your list of schools to apply too. I definitely agree about applying broadly. Your stats are very good, even with the low first year. However, each school has a different view on MCAT rewrites and you don't want to rewrite too many times. Also, in the event that you accidently blow the exam (it happens unfortunately) you then have a downward trend in your MCAT scores. Plus schools like UofC won't accept the old MCAT next year, so you have to rewrite again anyway if you don't get in.

Personally, I would try applying broadly across Canada and the US without rewriting your MCAT this year. If you don't get in, then rewrite it for next year and try again. But that's just my opinion. You shouldn't have a problem at all getting in to a DO school and I would be very surprised if you didn't receive some interviews at MD schools with your current stats. Now that UofC drops your lowest year post-graduation your wGPA is very good.

Op took the mcat after 2 weeks of prep and scored well, if they put a month in and are getting practice scores higher, then they should retake. It will open up more doors at Ontario schools that look at best two years, and US MD schools. Even wi current stats, should get interviews at USMD, but a few more points will definitely help secure more interviews. assuming op can write secondsries well. But of course if you aren't getting good scores, don't retake and just void.

Op took the mcat after 2 weeks of prep and scored well, if they put a month in and are getting practice scores higher, then they should retake. It will open up more doors at Ontario schools that look at best two years, and US MD schools. Even wi current stats, should get interviews at USMD, but a few more points will definitely help secure more interviews. assuming op can write secondsries well. But of course if you aren't getting good scores, don't retake and just void.

Thank you for your advice again.

To Vidhya, I will be cautious with the MCAT. If I am not extremely confident in scoring higher, I will void.

From talking to family friends that are docs, it seems that DO might not be the best option purely because of stigma despite it being such similar training. What do you guys think?

Thank you for your advice again.

To Vidhya, I will be cautious with the MCAT. If I am not extremely confident in scoring higher, I will void.

From talking to family friends that are docs, it seems that DO might not be the best option purely because of stigma despite it being such similar training. What do you guys think?

There is a bit of a stigma, and I think this would especially be a problem getting back to Canada (if that's what you want). There are no DO schools in Canada, and I have heard that DOs have more trouble getting ACGME residencies (required for DOs to practice in Canada), and I have no clue if they are even eligible for Canadian residencies.

There is a bit of a stigma, and I think this would especially be a problem getting back to Canada (if that's what you want). There are no DO schools in Canada, and I have heard that DOs have more trouble getting ACGME residencies (required for DOs to practice in Canada), and I have no clue if they are even eligible for Canadian residencies.

Thanks, that is pretty much what I have heard as well. DOs do match pretty well in the less competitive specialties in ACGME spots, at about ~75% success. In Canada, they are actually eligible for 1st iteration in Ontario, Quebec and B.C. But applying to CARMS seems like a crap shoot if you studied anywhere abroad, including the U.S (based on statistics).

Advair, do you have any advice on specific USMD schools? I have sent emails to about 20 schools asking pretty basic questions. Do Canadians have to go above and beyond Americans, financial aid, are my stats competitive (this one got answered a few times, surprisingly), etc. Plus I bought the MSAR and am working through it. But any other knowledge would be appreciated. Cheers

I think your so-called "stigma" is coming solely from your family friends who are docs.

I think your so-called "stigma" is coming solely from your family friends who are docs.

It is only heresay, but it wasn't actually the opinion of the doctor who is apart of a residency program in Canada. She said that despite being the same training and equally qualified, her sense was that there is a stigma, albeit an unfair stigma.

I was waiting for you to respond to that Mash! I've read a lot about DO and I am seriously considering it. And great news yesterday for the combining of residency programs. :)

Thanks, that is pretty much what I have heard as well. DOs do match pretty well in the less competitive specialties in ACGME spots, at about ~75% success. In Canada, they are actually eligible for 1st iteration in Ontario, Quebec and B.C. But applying to CARMS seems like a crap shoot if you studied anywhere abroad, including the U.S (based on statistics).

Advair, do you have any advice on specific USMD schools? I have sent emails to about 20 schools asking pretty basic questions. Do Canadians have to go above and beyond Americans, financial aid, are my stats competitive (this one got answered a few times, surprisingly), etc. Plus I bought the MSAR and am working through it. But any other knowledge would be appreciated. Cheers

don't bother trying to email schools individually, get MSAR (online from AMCAS) to narrow down your options and view many helpful stats and prereqs.

good rule of thumb is that private institutions often treat Canadian applicants the same or at a slight disadvantage to americans, but state schools will hold Canadians to a much higher standard if they will take them at all.

• 3 months later...

Just got my score back, improved on my 32 and got a 36! 11VR, 11PS, 14Bio. Was scoring consistent 12-13ths on PS but it was an awful first section, I had to guess on last five questions because I ran out of time. Glad I recovered to improve on last two sections. Air conditioning was broken and it was bloody hot during my first section. Application is in, just working on my complete list of schools still.

• 2 months later...

Hey,

I completed all my applications in July and am now playing the waiting game. Advair, do you know much about sending update letters/letters of intent? Is it too early for this?

No interviews / no rejections yet. A few on holds. 

Cheers

Martin

I just sent my update letter last night to all the schools I applied (stayed until 4am), verified on 07/22, secondary completed on 08/05 (some profs enjoy sending later ref letter), applied 17, got only two interviews so far. I added another 6 schools last night as a desperate attempt and am trying to finish most secondaries tonight. Seems like tough time for everyone (maybe except 209).

Hey,

I completed all my applications in July and am now playing the waiting game. Advair, do you know much about sending update letters/letters of intent? Is it too early for this?

No interviews / no rejections yet. A few on holds. 

Cheers

Martin

Still early to send out letters of intent. Wait until September, or unless you have something amazing that has changed since your completion of secondaries.

I just sent my update letter last night to all the schools I applied (stayed until 4am), verified on 07/22, secondary completed on 08/05 (some profs enjoy sending later ref letter), applied 17, got only two interviews so far. I added another 6 schools last night as a desperate attempt and am trying to finish most secondaries tonight. Seems like tough time for everyone (maybe except 209).

You will need to learn to relax, and not get so wound up. The subtle jealous dig at 209 isn't necessary. 

Archived