Premed 101 Forums

Grey's Anatomy

Guest pinkmango2005

Guest pinkmango2005

Hi!

Any Grey's Anatomy fans out there? I thought the little song at the beginning was kind of fitting for everyone waiting to hear admissions results...."Nobody know where they might end up....nobody knows....". Ha ha... I love that show!

Good luck everyone! Hopefully we'll all know very soon....

Guest satsumargirl

Yeah I like Grey's...but it doesn't make me want to do a surg residency! They look so exhausted!

Good luck!

Guest misagh

What about "House"? That show is the bomb!

Whenever I see Dr House talking with a patient, I say to myself, "Man, he's the worst doc on the planet!" And then when I think about it some more, and see how he comes up with diagnoses, I realize "Man, he's the best doc on the planet!"

Great show, real focus on the patient and the medicine, and not too much on the "soap opera" surrounding it all.

Guest UWOMED2005

I've never used "House" as an atlas. . .

I'm seriously starting to doubt you guys are talking about anatomy atlases anymore. :rollin

No, I don't get to watch much TV as a 4th year student (I'm only a 4th year for 3 more days, btw ;) )

I watch enough TV to know the following 3 things:

1) ER is actually fairly accurate in tests ordered and treatments. I started watching when I was almost done clerkship to check that as I was curious. . . it's not perfect, in fact almost TOO 'by the book' at times, but I was surprised.

2) Scrubs is so inaccurate in terms of its medicine sometimes it hurts. But it is funny!!!

3) Apparently there are new TV shows that also feature doctors as characters. Just don't ask me what they are!!

Guest satsumargirl
ER is actually fairly accurate in tests ordered and treatments. I started watching when I was almost done clerkship to check that as I was curious. . . it's not perfect, in fact almost TOO 'by the book' at times, but I was surprised

I just found out this year that the guy who writes it...I can't remember his name, is an MD (I dont' think practicing anymore, he writes books as well. I wish I could remember his name!). So that is why ER is pretty accurate. I think they are the only show that actually uses defibrillators for the right reason!

aside: apparently one of the CSI people (supervising director or something like that) was an actual (very successful) criminalist in the states. So the show is actually modelled on her lab and sometimes actual cases she had. I saw her interviewed and they have to fudge certain things for TV (some big, some small), but also pretty truthful....for any CSI fans out there.

I LOVE House. For anyone who hasn't seen it....Tuesday night's at 9:00 (Global??? not sure on that one). I think I like House better than Grey's 'cause it's a little more absurd, so it makes me laugh.

Ahhhh....2 years out of school and I love my free time, watching TV (I used to always be the one who had no clue). Too bad I might be going back!!

Guest Steve U of T
I just found out this year that the guy who writes it...I can't remember his name, is an MD (I dont' think practicing anymore, he writes books as well. I wish I could remember his name!). So that is why ER is pretty accurate. I think they are the only show that actually uses defibrillators for the right reason!

ER was originally created by Michael Crichton, author of Jurassic Park, Outbreak, and a bunch of other books that were made into movies. I believe he's a graduate of Harvard medical school, and supposedly based the show on his experiences during his internship at Massachussets General Hospital. I think he also wrote several non-fiction books about his experiences in medicine.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I haven't watched any telly in ages, but just happened to catch the end of "House" last night. Quite a great show, if that one episode is similar in approach to the others. The doctor was teaching a medical school class, Socratic style, so he was asking lots of questions. They often cut to other scenes, allowing the the viewer a nice chance to come up with a differential which came in quite handy, especially when they were dealing with one functioning adenoma case and you have a sizeable endocrine exam tomorrow. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest 2Late2Learn

What'd ya do -

- lose track of time all holed up watching the Scrubfest? (I did that myself one time watching all the Godfather movies.)

just kidding...LOL

Guest studentz

I liked the first episode of two of Grey's but I think it's fallen off a bit since.

I love House; it and 24 are probably the only two shows I don't miss this season.

For Kirsteen, most episodes of House aren't like that. Normally something crazy happens at the start of the episode and there are one or two cases that are followed. I think this past episode was a convenient way to finally introduce to the viewers why he's so bitter. I agree with a previous poster who mentioned that House isn't as "soap-operaish" as Grey's.

Guest Kirsteen

Dang, studentz; thanks for letting me know. That's too bad, as it would have been a great wee, weekly test o' the knowledge. :P

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest satsumargirl

Kirsteen,

House is still a great test of knowledge. It's just usually you don't flip back an forth so much. But it still takes them the whole episode to diagnose the problem (there's usually one main case and a couple of minor ones that pop in here and there). They'll make a couple of diagnoses and treat accordingly and it makes things worse, they almost kill someone or it doesn't do anything...so back to the drawing board. I think that is one reason why I like watching House, you get to try and figure out what is wrong.

I think you'll still like their "regular" style...dont' give up on House just yet!

Guest doctorinthehouse

I think house is my favorite show that's ever been on tv. I'm so hooked on it. I love House's honesty in the show. It's a little too forward sometimes, but at least he's completely honest (which is rare these days, especially when talking to patients).

Guest satsumargirl
but at least he's completely honest (which is rare these days, especially when talking to patients

There are plenty of MDs out there with terrible bedside manner! I was once on rounds in stroke rehab unit...the MD asked the pt to do various tasks with her legs and arms. She did them. He nodded, said nothing to her, turned around to us and exclaimed that he was happy with the progress of her leg but that "we wouldn't be getting her arm back". Well, the pt needless to say started crying, so I grabbed some tissues for her. The MD looked at me surprised turned around to the pt and said "well I'm sorry if that upsets you, but we have to start planning". HORRIBLE!!!! I spent at least 3 of my next Tx sessions (where I should have been been doing voice therapy...it was rather interesting, she had a CVA and ended up with a hoarse voice) with her crying and saying she had no point to live anymore (she was already having the worst time that even her loved ones didn't recognize her voice on the phone, the arm just pushed her over the edge).

I guess what they don't show you on House is the staff that are left to pick up the pieces once the MD has shattered their world. So in real life I think House would be the worst physician...I don't care if he is a good diagnostician. But in terms of the show, I think his honesty and terrible bedside manner is part of the appeal. And refreshing. I guess a part of anyone who deals with patients wishes they could approach things as plainly. It would make our jobs so much easier than dancing around the issue sometimes!

Only 1 more House episode 'til we find out if we're in!

Again...good luck to everyone waiting.

Sats

Guest misagh

One reason why I sometimes think House is a terrific physician is that he is almost always right with his hunches about people. He can read them like an open book, and knows exactly how to manipulate things to get the answer he needs. Kinda demonstrates the 'art' behind the science of medicine.

That last episode was amazing!!! Very creative, very very well done. Does that kind of teaching actually happen for clerks and/or residents in Canada?

Guest Future MSFer

House is a sick show! I love it. I Love scrubs too. not for it's medical accuracy, just for the laughs. Grey is cool. I agree it started great but it's going down.....OH, and crisis zone is cool too.

I don't follow any of the shows regularly though, no time!!

Guest grandmellon

When I first read the title I thought of the medical text book gray's anatomy. Then I realized you were talking about the show.

I'd rather read the text book than watch that show.

However, ER has been a pretty cool show to watch. I don't know where it is going to go now that Carter has left!

:(

Guest CaesarCornelius

Did anyone catch Grey's Anatomy this weekend?

I think there was an error in it (among many)... The asian intern said that the guy she did an autopsy on had "hemaTOMAchrosis" but it should be pronounced "hemaCHROMAtosis"...

However, its possible that she said "hemato-chromatosis", which is still incorrect, but closer to the true spelling.

Geek for life.

CC

Guest marbledust

lol I think Grey's Anatomy frequently makes mistakes--but I confess to being addicted to the show! I've had to tape most of the episodes and plan a marathon viewing one of these weekends.

The Patrick Dempsey character, for example. Is he a general surgeon or a neurosurgeon? The don't really seem to follow "rules" like this in the plot lines. But I still like it :)

Archived