Premed 101 Forums

Need advice for CEGEPs

BlueStorm

Hello there!

This is my first post!

I'm currently in Secondary V (French private school) and don't know which CEGEP to attend yet. I plan to enroll in Health Science program.

I'm hesitating between Collège Bois-de-Boulogne, Collège Jean-de-Brébeuf and Marianopolis College.

I live quite far from those CEGEPs. It takes 40 min for BdeB (being the nearest), 1 h for Brébeuf and 1 h 15 min for Marianopolis. (one way)

Right now, I'm really interested in Marianopolis College because of the student life and its environment. But like I said earlier, I'm from a French private school and it takes about 1 h 15 min for one way. Is it really hard the transition from French to English? How competitive Marianopolis College is?

So yeah, which CEGEP(s) do you think I should attend?

Thanks!

Out of all the CEGEPs you have listed, the best one to go to would be Marianopolis because of its additional R-score you could get (around +1.5 to 2). What is more, even though the students are real competitive, if you can hold up to that, then you should be perfectly fine.

I have many friends who have transitioned from a French secondary school to an English CEGEP and they were doing more than fine. I attended English schools throughout all my life, and I entered my first french school this year (university). Obviously, it might be a little hard the first month or so, but you get used to it as times go by.

Good luck!

Salut ! Choisi celui où tu penses que tu vas le plus être à l'aise. 2h30 de transport par jour c'est long, surtout s'il y a des alternatives. De plus, c'est complètement faux de dire que la cote R est bonifié dans les cégeps privés... Le calcul est justement fait pour que les étudiants de tous les cégeps soient mis sur un pied d'égalité. Dans mon cégep public de Banlieue, je connais vraiment beaucoup de gens avec >33 de cote R. Es-tu allé aux portes ouvertes ? J'crois que ça peut aider à choisir. Pour l'anglais, je sais que certains le font et réussissent. Mais logiquement, je crois que tu vas inévitablement être désavantagé, car ce n'est pas ta langue maternelle. Ce n'est toutefois que mon opinion.

Bonne chance dans tes décisions !

:confused:

>.>

I know my CEGEP (St-lawrence) had a R-score bonus of 1 (so example, instead of having 34, i would have 35.5). Was added in the final total of R-score after the cumulation of the other R-scores from every class.

i may be wrong about the one at marianopolis, but i heard it was as high as 1.5 or something.

I know CEGEP Garneau has a low bonus of 0 (none) and CEGEP Ste-Foy has 1 or a bit higher. (i only know the numbers of the cegeps in my area in quebec)

The bonus is to compensate the force of the cegep so to prevent those who go to Garneau, where there are very few good students, to profit from the lower average/low SD and get a high r-score and to reward those who go to higher level CEGEPs. (only speaking about the Health Profile)

EDIT: I hope im not saying any lie here. This is what I was taught every since my entrance in CEGEP some time ago by the dean and my other friends from other CEGEPs. If it is wrong, please do correct me :\

Well actually, what you're referring to is the "IFG" "indice de force de groupe". While it's true that it can increase or deacrease a R score, it's not related to your cegep, but to the secondary 5 average of the people in your class. In general, private cegeps do make a selection and so their IFG tends to be higher, but it is to compensate higher class averages. So I guess that it is wrong to call it a bonus, because it is inherently part of the formula. The way you put it, it sounded like they gave a bonus for more prestigious cegeps such as the ones they give for the BI ou the art and science program, which is not true. I hope it clears up the matter :)

There is absolutely no absolute/automatic bonus to any R-Score unless you are in the BI program or Sciences, Lettres et Arts. I agree with zaphyraph, it's probably the IFG you're talking about, and that doesn't depend on the CEGEP but on the high school everyone came from. Sometimes it may seem like some CEGEPS have higher IFG but it's because people from the same high school tend to cluster at some CEGEPS.

IN MY OPINION:

I do not believe any CEGEP to be "better" for the R-Score. It's not something you can really predict or control. You should pick the right CEGEP for you based on the atmosphere, location and quality of teachers. You will get a higher R-Score if you're comfortable with where you're going to be spending most of your days and if you enjoy (to a certain extent) the school. If you're miserable it will reflect on your grades.

If you have any questions or concerns about Bois-de-Boulogne, feel free to PM me! I cannot objectively speak for any other cegep :P But I will say that I got a good r-score without busting my behind too much!

Archived