Premed 101 Forums

Advice seeking

dmordekh

Hey,

Found this forum while browsing for information.

I am a student at western, 1st year, not a science major.

obviously the MCAT I will take will be the "new version", 2015. I am wondering which science courses should I take as electives in order to prepare myself for the MCAT. I already covered the psychology, sociology part. Now I am left with the science subjects. From what I read in the site, physics as an independent subject will not really be tested, so is physics a must? physics in high school was my weakest subject.

Thanks!

Diana

Hey,

Found this forum while browsing for information.

I am a student at western, 1st year, not a science major.

obviously the MCAT I will take will be the "new version", 2015. I am wondering which science courses should I take as electives in order to prepare myself for the MCAT. I already covered the psychology, sociology part. Now I am left with the science subjects. From what I read in the site, physics as an independent subject will not really be tested, so is physics a must? physics in high school was my weakest subject.

Thanks!

Diana

You don't really need to take any courses but taking them would be helpful. If you can prepare on your own, that would be the thing to do. That way you won't risk your GPA and save time. But if you wish to take Uni courses to prepare: first year chem, physics and bio, one year of biochem and organic chemistry. It adds up to a lot of courses.

You don't really need to take any courses but taking them would be helpful. If you can prepare on your own, that would be the thing to do. That way you won't risk your GPA and save time. But if you wish to take Uni courses to prepare: first year chem, physics and bio, one year of biochem and organic chemistry. It adds up to a lot of courses.

Do you think it's doable? Learning all of that alone, I finished high school a few years ago, and haven't touched most of these subject for quite a while. I have a good grasp of Biology, I am a first aid instructor, but thats about it.

I guess the real question is how deep do I need to know the subjects. pretty sure I will not be given reflection equations in physics...

Do you think it's doable? Learning all of that alone, I finished high school a few years ago, and haven't touched most of these subject for quite a while. I have a good grasp of Biology, I am a first aid instructor, but thats about it.

I guess the real question is how deep do I need to know the subjects. pretty sure I will not be given reflection equations in physics...

That is a hard question. You should be able to judge if you look at MCAT Essentials book at AAMC website. Also, you have a lot of error room since you are in first year. You can try preparing this summer on your own (recommend Examkrackers) or take a prep course if you like and see how to do.

Also some med schools require the courses I stated as a pre-req which would mean that you would have to take those anyways and in most cases they are relevant to MCAT.

That is a hard question. You should be able to judge if you look at MCAT Essentials book at AAMC website. Also, you have a lot of error room since you are in first year. You can try preparing this summer on your own (recommend Examkrackers) or take a prep course if you like and see how to do.

Also some med schools require the courses I stated as a pre-req which would mean that you would have to take those anyways and in most cases they are relevant to MCAT.

I am kind of aiming to Ontario, and there are no pre requests here (at least from what I've seen). I guess I can sit on it and see, but I'm not sure how much info I can find now about a test that haven't had its 1st run yet...

You think any first year books will do?

I've heard taking Human Physiology is very useful too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Cell Biology and Genetics may be helpful as well, but not essential.

Archived