Premed 101 Forums

Getting ready for 2015 application!

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and trying to figure out the best way to go about getting ready to apply for the 2015 year. I've already started studying for the MCAT which I'm planning on writing a few times, but my biggest concern is my GPA. According to my calculations (the u of m is going to double check for me next week) it's only about 3.6 :( . The other problem is that I have 2 degrees and over 200 credit hours so to boost it up is going to be really hard. I'm wondering if it would even be useful to take GPA boosters this summer or if I would be better off focusing like crazy and trying to get a 12 or more on the MCAT. I'm also IP and rural. Is it possible to get my self in a situation where I have a chance for next year?

I did drop the lowest 30 credit hours so I think it's pretty close to my AGPA. I am in a fortunate situation where I can devote the vast majority of the next 6 months to preparing for the MCAT. But while I do have some undergraduate science courses I do consider my science background kind of weak. What is the best way to improve my chances on the MCAT? I have the Examkrackers set and I really like it. I know it's going to be a lot of work but I hope I can do it :D

I did drop the lowest 30 credit hours so I think it's pretty close to my AGPA. I am in a fortunate situation where I can devote the vast majority of the next 6 months to preparing for the MCAT. But while I do have some undergraduate science courses I do consider my science background kind of weak. What is the best way to improve my chances on the MCAT? I have the Examkrackers set and I really like it. I know it's going to be a lot of work but I hope I can do it :D

Self-discipline and organization. I studied only eight weeks but with a strong science background. The bulk of your time should be trucking through your books, just no-frills, focused studying. Intersperse practice exams maybe every couple weeks, increasing the focus toward practice as you near the date. Do mock exams under strict timing. Get used to the pressure.

Biological: Make that Examkrackers book your best friend. If you haven't taken organic chemistry before, start it early. You are sort of being tested on your ability to retain a mammoth amount of information, but Examkrackers makes it manageable. Some organized system of overlapping overview/intensive study/review/test of chapters worked for me. Lots of annotation. Try to enjoy it.

Physical: Same advice as Biological, but more emphasis on problem-solving. Take out any MCAT books you can from the public library and just use their practice sets too.

Verbal: Tricky one... all I did was practice. I spent a LOT less time on this than the other sections, although my baseline was already at 11 so it really depends on the individual. I'm sure you can find some good advice in the Examkrackers book but I didn't have that one, just a big bank of practice passages.

You can do it if you are both smart and self-disciplined.

I appreciate your encouragement as I am feeling down right now because the u of m calculated my AGPA as 3.5 :( . I consider my science background mediocre, but in April I am cutting down to 2 days a week at work to make studying for the MCAT and my biochem course a full time job. Does anyone know of any tutors here in Winnipeg who are really good and looking to make a fortune off of me me? I need to formulate a plan.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know about this course http://www.prep101.com/mcat/ ? Is it worth the money?

Don't bother with a prep course, save your money. Each person has different background information/courses/study methods. Tailoring your studying to what you need to do and how you do it is much better, if you have the discipline.

There is nothing that abstract that you can't figure out from EC or the internet. AAMC tests are your friend, focus on timing, reading on a computer, and the way they present questions. Be able to interpret and use the content in passages and questions, shear memorization of material won't be that effective.

Don't let it intimidate you and watch for burnout, having fun sometimes is ok.

Archived