Premed 101 Forums

UBC ortho trauma elective

• 1 month later...

hey, just matched to UBC Ortho so can answer your question.

I did a 2-week elective in Ortho Trauma at VGH in Year 3 and then 4-weeks in Year 4. There are 4-5 ortho trauma surgeons at VGH, all of whom are excellent. If possible, try to work with the residency program director, Dr. H. Broekhuyse, but if not, no worries. I worked with Drs. Piotr Blachut and Peter O'Brien who were awesome. They are both very friendly but really expect to observe (even while scrubbed) for most surgeries since they usually have a 4th year/jr & sr resident/fellows with them for these trauma procedures.

In addition to OR, you get to spend time with them doing ward rounds, helping in cast clinic and office clinic so you have adequate time to ask for a letter.

I will warn you though that even I felt unsure about asking for a letter in my 3rd year since I primarily spent A LOT of time with the residents as opposed to staff since like I mentioned, you just watch in the OR. But no worries. The residents are excellent and they provide feedback to staff and that is all you need.

Like I said, I matched to my #1 choice and even got a scholarship a week after matching from the dept of Ortho so LEARN YOUR ANATOMY, know what to expect in each case as you get tossed a question such as, what muscle does this tendon belong to (it won't be as easy as Achilles lol) but you get my drift.

Other places that also have excellent trauma rotations are RCH and Kamloops. They have stellar surgeons, some of whom are also involved with residency selection.

Anyways, let me know if you have any other q's.

P.S. get used to doing a lot of traction so my advice ... work out haha, c u at the msac!

Archived