Premed 101 Forums

"Why Doctor?" Question Timing

Guest tweep0

I was wondering how long an average answer to the question "Why do you want to be a doctor" is. That question can be a discussion of a bunch of your experiences that have motivated you to become a doctor, but that can take a while. Do interviewers expect a long answer or one that is short and the intervewers could ask follow-up questions to expand on certain ideas? THanks

Tweep

• 1 year later...
Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1118447100</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>"Why Doctor?" Question Timing</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<dateline>1118447100</dateline>

<title>Unknown</title>

<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)

• 1 year later...

Your answer should be concise and short enough to get your point across(not be repetitive) and not bore your interviewers, but long enough to actually answer the question. I suggest you practice your answer on someone and then, get their feedback.

In this case, normally, I think interviewers would only ask follow up questions if you did not answer the question to their satisfaction. For example, if all you said is "Because I like healthcare and want to help people", they're obviously going to follow up with "well why not be a nurse then?" or something like that...

If you have lots of experiences to share, I'd expand on maybe the most important or maybe the top two experiences, and maybe very briefly name the others or just state that you've had many more, and if they're curious, the interviewer will ask for further details.

Archived