Premed 101 Forums

Does the second undergrad have to be four years?

Hi, I am currently doing a 1-year MSc and I am considering doing a second undergrad after completing MSc to increase my chance in getting into NOSM.

Here's my mark break down (I did a 5th year prior to graduation to increase my GPA):

1st year - 3.06

2nd year - 3.31

3rd year -3.29

4th year - 3.86

5th year - 3.90

cGPA - 3.39

2 most recent/best year - 3.88

Ottawa wGPA - 3.79

Toronto wGPA - 3.77

As NOSM looks at cGPA, even with a 0.2 boost from the MSc., the GPA doesn't seem so competitive.

I understand that as a mature student (>25), only the second undergrad cGPA will be considered.

But does the second undergrad have to be a 4 year program or can I complete it in 2 years after including transferred courses and still use that GPA for NOSM?

Thanks so much in advance!!

P.S. I have a rural background (grew up and finished high school in Northern Ontario)

Hey boto.

I am in the same situation as you are. In my original bachelor, my GPA was only 3.0, which means with my masters, only gives me a 3.2.

I inquired heavily with NOSM regarding the second bachelor degree. Anyone can complete a second bachelor, and they will calculate and use the best GPA. However, if you are younger than 25, both bachelors must be a 4 year bachelor. If you do a second degree and it is only a 3 year degree, it will not be considered unless you are 25 or over.

Here's the best part, if you register for a 3 year bachelor, you can transfer up to 2 years worth of credits from previous education (dependent on the university policies, etc...). NOSM will not look at these transfered marks, but only the new courses. Therefore, you need to complete 1 year worth of courses, being 5 full year courses, 10 half year courses, etc...

From what you described that you are greater than 25, I would register in a 3 year bachelor and see how many credits they will transfer over. Then work hard on the courses you take and you can significantly improve your GPA.

Shoot me a private message if you have other questions. Later

crazyye

What is described above is what I did. I'm >25 so only needed a 3year. Athabasca transferred 14 courses so I needed to complete 16. NOSM requires you to be in the final year of that undergrad to have it count for your application, and have conditions on your GPA at convocation if you do get accepted off of only one year's worth of courses.

The programs I looked at transfer half of the credits needed for the degree so for a 3 year you'll likely get 1.5 years worth of credits but that will vary between institutions.

Good luck! I've been successful in this route so MSG me if you have any questions.

Archived