Premed 101 Forums

Anesthesia

• 2 weeks later...
Any info/comments/ positive or negative experiences regarding anesthesia rotations @ ottawa, edmonton, sudbury?

I can only comment on Ottawa.

Downsides: rotate through multiple preceptors during your two weeks (basically a different one every day) so difficult to get letter, rumour that program director doesn't meet with elective students (I didn't make contact with her), difficult to set up elective if you are not an Ottawa student

Upsides: schedule you for a good variety of rooms during the 2 weeks, most staff great teachers and like to teach, staff open to you doing call with them, free coffee in lounge (ha), residents happy for you to do call with them if no other students, good trauma centre at the Civic, new facilities at the General

If you are interested in doing an elective in Ottawa, I would suggest contacting the Heart Institute and seeing if they take visiting elective students. Great experience - smaller number of staff, more flexible so you can try to work with staff more than once, my first exposure to cardiac anesthesia, +++ procedures and hands-on work if you show you're willing (and able!), awesome teaching all around.

Archived