Premed 101 Forums

MCAT-physical stress

Guest dogeatdog12

Guest dogeatdog12

I would just like to know how physically exhausing is the MCAT. I have a medical condition and I would like to know if I could write the MCAT this year. I am in third year going to fourth in the fall. However, I think I might do another year however. I am really at odds here because i don't think I can physically perform well given on the day of the MCAT. Does anybody have any suggestions? how grueling is the MCAT physically? should I postpone it? am I afraid if I don't write it this year then I will never have another year to improve.

thanks

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

The MCAT can be a bit of a mental and physical marathon: the adrenaline tends to pump and the brain is often whirring.

Have you explored any MCAT options re: provisions for folks with medical conditions? You might wish to sniff around for some information on that, as I thought I'd read somewhere that someone managed to receive some sort of special support for their MCAT writing due to a medical condition. :rolleyes

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest tweep0

Hi,

Follow Kirsteen's advice - gems. I would also add that I would try to do a couple moc MCATs to see how you can handle it. If you plan to take a course, then there will be many opportunities to do a moc. If not, many organizations like Kaplan, Princeton, and clubs on campus (i.e. the premed club at UofT) hold free moc MCAT sessions. Alternatively, you could just find out when Kaplan/Princeton conducts moc MCATs and just sit and write it (since you haven't paid, you won't get you MCAT scored, but you can (probably not to their liking) still write a moc MCAT). If you do a couple moc MCATs and you can manage it, the real MCAT should be fine. Good luck.

Tweep

Guest dogeatdog12

thanks a lot for the advice. It's just too bad I didn't know it sooner because the deadline for applying is today for early registration. does anybody have any past history with medical accomidations? or perphaps has a link for this sort of thing?

thanks

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

If you can get through, your best chance at uncovering accurate information at this critical time is to phone the AAMC folks. I'm sure you'll be able to find their telephone number on their website. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest physiology

I echo the above comments. The MCAT is a LONG exam. I woke up at 7 am to get to the testing site at 8:30 am. Then you write till about 3:30 pm? I don't think I left the building till about 4 pm.

There's a lunch break and 10 minute break in between sections but those aren't enough.

People pretty much ran to the washroom and then ran back to their respective rooms for the next section.

Personally, the essay was the most physically exhausting. I guess I press hard when I write, but regardless, churning out an essay of decent length is tough in 1/2 an hour!

Guest deamd

Hey, just my experience:

i wrote the MCAT last year in the midst of MORNING SICKNESS from He!!...Well, I managed to do OK. Was exhausted, and when my hubby picked me up, he said i was green as kelp...Felt disgusting, but if you just concentrate on what you have to do, and know that you have to get it done, it is possible. The main thing is to keep hydrated, and they do allow drinks (at least at our site - UWO)...

It is just a hurdle to get over, and you will feel great to have done it. Also, I know it is expensive, but why not give it a try, and see what happens? If nothing els, it is really worthwile to have some experience at it.

Good Luck to you!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest makdaddy08

LIke the others said, I think it's a good experience for you to try..wehther it be on a mock MCAT or the real one (which I now realize is about 1 week from now).

So this is a late reply..but...I'd think of it as a typical school day. You can handle school you can handle this...like yah it's an exam, but the nature of the exam is different from midterms and stuff...it's not soemthing you STUDY for as much as u practice right? i'ts like a long IQ test...I felt very little pressure when writing it...cuz i wasn't trying to remember things..just trying to answer them according to the info presented to me. So take it easy, I'm sure you're an intelligent person with good reasoning skills, so there shouldn't be any reason to worry/stress. And then without that, the physical demands of an MCAT are to sit like 1.5 hours at a time at a desk.

Best of luck

Archived