Premed 101 Forums

GPA Calculation for US Med Schools

I am currently studying in the US and the GPA scale that AMCAS uses in the calculation of a 4.0 is basically an A which translates to a 93%. Pretty hard, I must say.

Yup. Grading in Canada is much different though and AMCAS has a different scale to reflect that. Check here and scroll right to the bottom for the Canadian percentage scale. Letter grades probably use the normal scale.

I am currently studying in the US and the GPA scale that AMCAS uses in the calculation of a 4.0 is basically an A which translates to a 93%. Pretty hard, I must say.

for canadian schools though, they consider 87-100 a 4.0, which boosted my GPA compared to OMSAS (all my 3.9s were considered 4.0s).

depends on the school though

for western (and western only, maybe there was another school?), >=80 is a 4.0

Unfair advantage to western/queens/and york? people. It's essentially putting applicants with ~80 averages (ones who make the standard A- mark) on the same level as the legit A+ / >90% people.

• 1 month later...

AMCAS uses LETTER GRADES! It does not care about raw scores. While it may adjust letter grades for US schools, it does little to nothing about Canadian schools. Indeed, I very much doubt AMCAS knows anything about CDN grading policies. Thus, certain schools have an obscenely unfair advantage. For instance, at UWO 80 >A whereas at the tougher marking school U of T A>85. Furthermore, AMCAS does not put any value in A vs A+ since certain US schools do not reward A+ .

It would be interesting how AMCAS evaluates Canadian schools which focus on the calculated raw score average like USask or UBC. Since they are known to grade inflate (due to using raw scores), their students may have even a greater advantage.

Archived