Premed 101 Forums

May 14th countdown thread

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First, congrats amichael for the good news so far!!

Now very nervous seeing all the great, exciting news on the Ontario threads.

Thank you so much! It's helping me stay calmer heading into tomorrow and Thursday.

Hoping for good news for everyone here!

The suspense is killing me :) Does anyone know if rejection emails are sent out at the same time?

no kidding!

based on last years accepted, etc thread (self-reported of course) it looks like they all go out at the same time. people were posting acceptances at 5:17pm and rejections at 5:20pm (EST)

https://twitter.com/UCMedAdmissions

Wonder what time "afternoon" means. Was really hoping to get the news before I go under for my wisdom teeth at 2!

EDIT: Ooops, someone beat me to it.

Your going under for your wisdom teeth? When they did mine they were just frozen and then removed. My bottom ones were very badly impacted and i didn't need to go under.

ps: I'll be withdrawing whatever my result here. I imagine it won't be great, was my first ever interview and I was very nervous and it showed.

Blah wisdom teeth. My dentist pulled out my first two with freezing and it was essentially him placing a foot on my forehead and pulling with two hands. One tooth broke into pieces - it was lovely. He then told me that he couldn't remove the other two since they were too close to the nerve so I had to see the surgeon - which turned out to be wonderful! Good ol' anesthetic. Just wish he had sent me there in the first place. :rolleyes:

Anywho, good luck folks!!! I just checked and the letter last year was time stamped at 3:01pm. No idea if they sent them all at once. Can't wait to meet all the new classmates! Remember stay positive regardless of the news and just keep moving forward!! :)

My dentist pulled out my first two with freezing and it was essentially him placing a foot on my forehead and pulling with two hands.

Oh man, that sucks. I had mine done in Thailand an was basically given 2500mg of acetaminophen plus a local. I didn't feel anything and it took only 15 mins per side even when they had to grind down my jawbone a bit. :S With other dental stuff, I'm usually really sensitive and respond badly to N2O, so the Thai surgeon was pretty surprising.

That was 2006 when House had been out for a few seasons, so I 'recovered' with a delightfully cynical Hugh Laurie in the hostel :D

Good luck to everyone tomorrow! Looking forward to finally knowing my trajectory in this next phase in life, as I'm sure everyone else is! Hope we're all part of 2017!!

Your going under for your wisdom teeth? When they did mine they were just frozen and then removed. My bottom ones were very badly impacted and i didn't need to go under.

ps: I'll be withdrawing whatever my result here. I imagine it won't be great, was my first ever interview and I was very nervous and it showed.

Must be a regional thing? Everyone here goes to the oral surgeon and goes under.

Oh man, that sucks. I had mine done in Thailand an was basically given 2500mg of acetaminophen plus a local. I didn't feel anything and it took only 15 mins per side even when they had to grind down my jawbone a bit. :S With other dental stuff, I'm usually really sensitive and respond badly to N2O, so the Thai surgeon was pretty surprising.

That was 2006 when House had been out for a few seasons, so I 'recovered' with a delightfully cynical Hugh Laurie in the hostel :D

Good luck to everyone tomorrow! Looking forward to finally knowing my trajectory in this next phase in life, as I'm sure everyone else is! Hope we're all part of 2017!!

Why Thailand of all places? Isn't that a little sketchy?

I sure hope Calgary doesn't disappoint me. I was optimistic once, before I got waitlisted today. Wait listed in the knee!:mad:

Hah! I've taken many pass-up moments to the knee, too! Hopefully the optimism finds you again soon :)

Thailand seemed sketchy, but I heard from many fellow travellers at the time that Nimanhimman Road in Chiang Mai was "the" place to get dental surgery - many people apparently go there for medical vacations. The maxillofacial surgeons at my place had all been trained in Germany, so that was something special. Regarding the GA thing, the guy there explained it to me such that Canadians generally have a different philosophy about putting people under, but that he felt it was not only unnecessary but also increased complications.

I was pretty happy about the work and my dentist was also very surprised at how good the results were. Overall, saved 90% of the cost of a full cost surgery back home!

Well. I am a hugeeee wimp when it comes to the dentist (I think I was traumatized when my dentist had to prop his foot on the chair to remove the 8 (adult) teeth I had removed as a child - I have huge tooth roots), so I'm totally okay with being put out. Plus I'm not paying, so... haha.

For me it was both when I was waiting for Ontario yesterday. And after that fiasco I'm ready for anything

Any predictions on what 'afternoon' means?

Probably after 1 PM calgary time b/c people will be on lunch from 12-1. Probably well before 5 PM calgary time (or whenever the office closes), so there's time to fix stuff before people leave the office if something goes wrong.

Archived