Premed 101 Forums

Help with MCAT and submission timeline

Hello,

I have decided to apply to American schools this year. My wife and I have decided that we would be happy to stay in the U.S. for a while longer. I have been working in the U.S. since last fall on a TN Visa.

This forum is great. I have been reading it along with the SDN forum and have learned a great deal about the American system. Here is my dilemma.

Should I submit early with my current MCAT (9PS, 10, 10) or wait until my new score (I have every indication that it will likely be several points higher). I am writing on August 27th. As I see it, my options are to:

1) Submit my primary early to one through-away school early in order to get my application verified. I would then hold onto my application and submit to all the other schools once I am verified.

2) Submit my primary early to all schools, with an indication that I am rewriting the MCAT in August (there is a place to include this in AMCAS). Form what I have read, medical schools would then put my application aside until they receive my new scores.

With either option, I would work on my secondaries ahead of time so that I could submit as soon as I receive them.

Is there any advantage to option 2?

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Can you tell us more about your application? GPA? ECs?

If you have an other wise strong application, I would suggest applying early. Applying early is very important for US schools.

If they put your application aside, then let them put it aside. So what if they look at it later...even if you submit after you get your second score your application will still be delayed. But why not submit early and give them the chance to see your application?

The bigger issue I personally see is getting rejected rather than being put aside.

Also take into account the verification period. This year took about 6-8 weeks for applications to get verified.

If you can write your essays in time and submit a little early, then I'd suggest go for it!

For those who don't have an MCAT score, I'd suggest applying early if you can.

If you have time in between your MCAT prep to work on your application, then work on it and submit it. Again, remember it takes a while to even get verified.

I made this mistake the first time I applied to US schools. Waited till after I had my MCAT score and then applied.

This past cycle I applied earlier and got an acceptance to a school I was previously rejected from.

Can you tell us more about your application? GPA? ECs?

If you have an other wise strong application, I would suggest applying early. Applying early is very important for US schools.

If they put your application aside, then let them put it aside. So what if they look at it later...even if you submit after you get your second score your application will still be delayed. But why not submit early and give them the chance to see your application?

The bigger issue I personally see is getting rejected rather than being put aside.

Also take into account the verification period. This year took about 6-8 weeks for applications to get verified.

If you can write your essays in time and submit a little early, then I'd suggest go for it!

Other information:

CEGEP GPA (they count this): 3.11

First degree GPA: 3.33

Second degree GPA: >3.9

Post Bacc Science prereqs: >3.9

Grad GPA: 3.88

Extracurriculars: Very strong, long-term, unique and varied. Lots of healthcare related research with publiscations

LOR: Very strong letters from professors and physicians whom I have had long-term and positive relationships with.

Are you suggesting option#2? Do you think that my application would actually get read quicker this way?

Thanks for the input.

Other information:

CEGEP GPA (they count this): 3.11

First degree GPA: 3.33

Second degree GPA: >3.9

Post Bacc Science prereqs: >3.9

Grad GPA: 3.88

Extracurriculars: Very strong, long-term, unique and varied. Lots of healthcare related research with publiscations

LOR: Very strong letters from professors and physicians whom I have had long-term and positive relationships with.

Are you suggesting option#2? Do you think that my application would actually get read quicker this way?

Thanks for the input.

Unlike Canada, the US uses your cumulative GPA (with A=A+) and your mcat is average. What I would suggest you do now is get MSAR and look up all the schools that accept international applicants and see where you meet the cutoffs. Going on student doctor network and getting your lizzyM score at this point would allow you to research where you have a chance or where is a 'reach' school for you.

A good time line would be:

June:

- finish researching what schools you want to apply for and get those primary apps done for all schools (reach and good chance)

July:

- Finish those secondary apps for your 'good chance' (where you meet/exceed cutoffs) schools only and submit

August:

- Write your mcat and start working on your secondary apps for those 'reach schools'

Sept:

- Receive those mcat scores and if they're excellent then at least you'll have your primary apps done for those ivy league schools :)

Hope this helps!

Thank you for all the feedback. I was thinking of a similar strategy myself. I will likely submit early to all the schools where I have a reasonable chance of admission with my current MCAT score, and then wait to submit to my "reach" schools once my new MCAT score is back. In the meantime, I will prepare secondaries for all of the schools so that I can submit as soon as I get the scores.

I will keep you all posted with how this goes. Thanks again for all the feedback.

Archived