Premed 101 Forums

western PT class entering 2014

Hey fellow classmates-to-be!

If you've read the acceptance letter, you would have learned that the pt program is under probationary accreditation status. They're saying they should be awarded the full status before 2016 when we graduate, but in the highly unlikely case that it doesn't happen, we will have graduated from an unaccreditated program. I know these things happen to schools and that by no means Western would be letting the program lose the accreditation, but I can't help feeling a little concerned. Should we be worried?

Hey fellow classmates-to-be!

If you've read the acceptance letter, you would have learned that the pt program is under probationary accreditation status. They're saying they should be awarded the full status before 2016 when we graduate, but in the highly unlikely case that it doesn't happen, we will have graduated from an unaccreditated program. I know these things happen to schools and that by no means Western would be letting the program lose the accreditation, but I can't help feeling a little concerned. Should we be worried?

I was a little concerned by that too. I don't know what to think. Since the program is currently accredited in both Canada and the US and is considered to be one of the top in the country, I would like to think that we should be okay.

I was a little concerned by that too. I don't know what to think. Since the program is currently accredited in both Canada and the US and is considered to be one of the top in the country, I would like to think that we should be okay.

Mind if I ask how you know this? I haven't come across any type of rankings. I've also been accepted at Western, and shared similar thoughts about the accreditation.

Mind if I ask how you know this? I haven't come across any type of rankings. I've also been accepted at Western, and shared similar thoughts about the accreditation.

Honestly I just found when shadowing and volunteering people spoke highly of western and u of t in particular but that can be just a sample bias. Also the fact that these two schools are the only ones that are also accredited in the states. I am currently trying to find more information about it. I find it very wrong that we only learned about this last night .

Honestly I just found when shadowing and volunteering people spoke highly of western and u of t in particular but that can be just a sample bias. Also the fact that these two schools are the only ones that are also accredited in the states. I am currently trying to find more information about it. I find it very wrong that we only learned about this last night .

Agreed. Although they did say the review took place recently so they might not have anticipated before. Anyways, I've sent an inquiry email to the chair of the program so hopefully we'll gain some more insight to it soon.

I am a current Western PT student, be aware that Westerns program will no longer be accredited in the states for any years following this years graduating class because physical therapy is now a Doctorate program in the states (DPT) and our programs no longer meet their standards.

I am a current Western PT student, be aware that Westerns program will no longer be accredited in the states for any years following this years graduating class because physical therapy is now a Doctorate program in the states (DPT) and our programs no longer meet their standards.

Hmmmm. Will that be true for u of t as well then?

Hmmmm. Will that be true for u of t as well then?

"We hold a six-year accreditation (granted in 2010) through the Physiotherapy Education Accreditation Canada (PEAC), which is the maximum award rating for master’s physical therapy education programs. We also hold a ten year accreditation (granted in 2006) from the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) which allows our graduates to obtain licensure in the United States."

that was found in FAQS

So entering class of 2016 seems to be good to go if they wanna work in the States

Hey I emailed the chair of the program and I wanted to share her response for those who are concerned about the US accreditation status.

Essentially she said that the program is fully accredited until the end of December 2014 and it was her understanding that people entering the program in 2014 would be grandfathered in.

My opinion is that since the US is moving towards a doctorate program for physiotherapy, those applying with a Master's from Canada will not be competitive when applying for jobs even if they become licensed in the US. I am sure somebody who really wanted to work in the US will eventually be able to find work but there will be a lot more hoops to jump through.

Archived