Premed 101 Forums

Choosing an OT program

I am having a really tough time deciding on which school for OT. I did my undergrad at Western and absolutely loved it, but now I am thinking I should try something new for my masters. Can anyone explain the most significant differences between OT at Mac, Western, Queens, and U of T - specifically, class hours, placements, and course workload?

I am having a really tough time deciding on which school for OT. I did my undergrad at Western and absolutely loved it, but now I am thinking I should try something new for my masters. Can anyone explain the most significant differences between OT at Mac, Western, Queens, and U of T - specifically, class hours, placements, and course workload?

I was reading through old threads and came across this, by Pink Tulip, which might help you!

There's information/debates on this from the previous year you might find useful. If you haven't looked up the difference between Mac/other schools, research their website. It's a hotly-debated topic that's been addressed over and over in these forums. IE: PBL and whether you're suited to the learning style or not.

Otherwise, you'd really need to give more details if you wanted an informed response. Do you prefer a smaller class size or larger one? Do you want access to many rural placements or only urban? What sort of research are you interested in if any? There's a whole variety of topics and professors that will help you in different universities. It's all on their websites. Look up the placement schedules for each university. This is a huge difference between them. I would highly suggest doing a significant amount of research yourself if this is important to you.

If you don't care about that stuff, then each school will give you the same degree so it really doesn't matter. Pick a city you might like. All of them are structured much the same in class time/group work/research time etc. Only Mac will give you a different edge of learning style than the other universities. It's hard to make a general list if you haven't mentioned your interests or preferences (in relation to research, PhD interests, placement interests, personal interests, etc.)

I found it here.

Good luck!

I am an OT student at Mac, so if you have any specific questions I would be happy to answer them!

I'm planning on attending the UT open house for OT this Saturday and I've sent some questions to OTs I know who graduated from UT. I'll let you know what I find out! (In terms of class hours, I think UT and Western are very similar. They both seem to be on a 9-5 schedule. McMaster is very different with its PBL approach and I'm not sure about Queen's.)

I got into Western as well but I don't personally know anyone who went there for OT. If anyone has any information, I would love to hear it!!

If anyone has any information on the Queen's program, I would greatly appreciate it. I am trying to make a decision between Queen's and Dalhousie. Things such as class schedule, international/oop placement opportunities, life in Kingston?

If anyone has any information on the Queen's program, I would greatly appreciate it. I am trying to make a decision between Queen's and Dalhousie. Things such as class schedule, international/oop placement opportunities, life in Kingston?

ME TOO Rebekka!! I'd also find it very useful if anyone had info on this.

I attended the UT open house yesterday. Here's some info I learned for anyone who is interested:

-There is an intro fieldwork experience in October of first year which consists of two weeks (3 days per week) of mostly just observation at a placement site.

-The classes and assignments involve lectures with class discussions, group assignments, and making videos. There are also a lot of labs in which you get to work with equipment and simulated living environments. But most of the labs happen in second year, not first year.

-There's a research project in second year that you complete with a partner. From the students I talked to, it seems like you get a lot of guidance from faculty (if you want the guidance).

-You are placed in groups of 10 students and I think you mostly work with them throughout the term. You get a different group every term.

-There is an assistive technology class in which you learn about technologies and I think it was mentioned that you get to design your own at some point.

-Housing in Toronto costs about 500-800 if you're living with roommates. A TTC monthly pass costs about 108 per month.

-A lot of students decide to do international placements for their second placement. (Some of the countries that were mentioned included Australia, Holland, Sweden, Trinidad) These placements are not funded.

-All non-international placements are within the GTA and are mostly TTC accessible.

I am still not completely sure which school I should attend. Does anyone know anything about the program at Western?

I attended the UT open house yesterday. Here's some info I learned for anyone who is interested:

-There is an intro fieldwork experience in October of first year which consists of two weeks (3 days per week) of mostly just observation at a placement site.

-The classes and assignments involve lectures with class discussions, group assignments, and making videos. There are also a lot of labs in which you get to work with equipment and simulated living environments. But most of the labs happen in second year, not first year.

-There's a research project in second year that you complete with a partner. From the students I talked to, it seems like you get a lot of guidance from faculty (if you want the guidance).

-You are placed in groups of 10 students and I think you mostly work with them throughout the term. You get a different group every term.

-There is an assistive technology class in which you learn about technologies and I think it was mentioned that you get to design your own at some point.

-Housing in Toronto costs about 500-800 if you're living with roommates. A TTC monthly pass costs about 108 per month.

-A lot of students decide to do international placements for their second placement. (Some of the countries that were mentioned included Australia, Holland, Sweden, Trinidad) These placements are not funded.

-All non-international placements are within the GTA and are mostly TTC accessible.

I am still not completely sure which school I should attend. Does anyone know anything about the program at Western?

Thanks for sharing all that info regarding U of T! A few months ago, I emailed Western asking if they had any current OT students willing to share their experience in the program. Here is some of what that student said:

As a whole staff and faculty are amazing and really want to optimize your learning. Your classmates become your best friends. The profs even tell us that grades don't matter (to a degree of course), and the program wants to concentrate on your learning experience.

There are A LOT of international opportunities available, including Norway, Barbados, Scotland, England, India, Singapore and Australia. There are also placements in Northern Ontario available.

Hope that helps! Sounds like both are excellent and comparable options. (I was rejected from both U of T and Western, so really have no bias regarding which of the two you pick. :) Good luck!)

Thanks for sharing all that info regarding U of T! A few months ago, I emailed Western asking if they had any current OT students willing to share their experience in the program. Here is some of what that student said:

As a whole staff and faculty are amazing and really want to optimize your learning. Your classmates become your best friends. The profs even tell us that grades don't matter (to a degree of course), and the program wants to concentrate on your learning experience.

There are A LOT of international opportunities available, including Norway, Barbados, Scotland, England, India, Singapore and Australia. There are also placements in Northern Ontario available.

Hope that helps! Sounds like both are excellent and comparable options. (I was rejected from both U of T and Western, so really have no bias regarding which of the two you pick. :) Good luck!)

Thanks so much for sharing your information about Western, OTHope :)

Archived