Premed 101 Forums

Top 10 American med school or stay in Canada

Hey everyone,

I was fortunate to get accepted to a top 10 American med school, as well as 2 schools in Canada. My question is this: do you think it is worth it to attend the American school vs. the Canadian ones, as the American school is providing enough scholarships for the differences in cost to be negligible? I'm not sure where I want to practice, but I know that it won't be anything super-competitive (i.e. psych, IM etc). Just trying to decide what it is that I should do. Any insight greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

I was fortunate to get accepted to a top 10 American med school, as well as 2 schools in Canada. My question is this: do you think it is worth it to attend the American school vs. the Canadian ones, as the American school is providing enough scholarships for the differences in cost to be negligible? I'm not sure where I want to practice, but I know that it won't be anything super-competitive (i.e. psych, IM etc). Just trying to decide what it is that I should do. Any insight greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

What schools are you looking between? That may be relevant. What is more important probably is where you wish to practice, the class sizes of the schools, their curriculum etc. It is impossible for us to help you more without you telling us about the schools and your personal preferences and desires.

Hey everyone,

Thanks!

The question should be where you want to practice.

Hey everyone,

Thanks!

Go to the Top 10 American school. If the cost is the same, I would choose the US, but that is my personal choice I guess. It depends on where you are more likely to practice. Although, I think with a top 10 school you would gain respect no matter where you end up.

• 2 weeks later...

Go to Canadian school but it really depends on a couple things.

1. Where do you want to live?

It's easier to move to the USA from Canada than the other way around. Again, it depends on the specialty since some Canadian specialties cannot get board certified in the US

2. What specialty do you want to do?

Hard to know but same reason as above.

There is value to having a new experience but be mindful of college/licensing rules because where you go to medical school can have a big impact on where you are able to work in the future.

Congrats on the acceptances and good luck deciding.

Not sure what the value of your scholarships are, but keep in mind that they are subject to tax in the US (from what I've heard, roughly 35% taken off the original amount). I would assume you have taken this into consideration when weighing the financial costs of committing to an American school.

Archived