Premed 101 Forums

Do I have a chance at any of the American schools?

My first degree GPA was somewhere around 2.20-2.40 (it was so bad that I didn't even bother calculating it)

I'm currently doing a second degree and I finished my first year with a 3.98

Although it would be very nice to be accepted to Canadian med schools, I don't want to limit my chances to Canadian schools.

As I am aware, most American schools take a holistic view when processing applications, but do they have any exception for people like me who make an extreme improvement in a second degree?

As far as I know the US schools that accept Canadians, will look at your most recent completed undergraduate degree. So, you have a chance :)! Keep up the amazing GPA!

You can get into Canadian schools too! Don't be down and frown upon your first UG cGPA. Just keep working hard and be focused on this 2nd Undergrad.

As far as I know the US schools that accept Canadians, will look at your most recent completed undergraduate degree. So, you have a chance :)! Keep up the amazing GPA!

You can get into Canadian schools too! Don't be down and frown upon your first UG cGPA. Just keep working hard and be focused on this 2nd Undergrad.

Can anybody confirm or deny this? As someone in a similar situation, with a terrible first undergrad, currently pursuing a second undergrad, this would GIVE ME SO MANY MORE CHANCES...........:eek: :eek: :eek:

I applied and was accepted to multiple US schools. This is completely false. The US does NOT use any special weighting formulas or dropping years.

They do look at upward trends, but doing well 1 year isn't an upward trend after 4 bad years.

Also as an international applicant you aren't given much leeway for low GPAs as American citizens are.

Zero chance, focus on Best two year schools in Canada.

Archived