Premed 101 Forums

autobiographical scores and interview chances

Guest Koggetsu

Guest Koggetsu

hey guys: I just received my rejection letter from UBC , and although i wasn't really counting on getting an interview there, i think my score for the Non-Academic score kind of shocked me (only 12.5/25) and its pretty disheartening.

Now, i'm just wondering for the other places that I will be getting interviews, should I assume that my scores for those will be low too? and if thats the case, does that mean my chances of acceptances are pretty low now?

I'll be the first to admit that my profile compare to some others are not as good, i haven't been involved in as many things as many of the applicants nor are they like very spectacular positions either, but part of that is because I rather do a few things I like and do a better job in them rather than spread my time all over.

So therefore, i don't think i will have as many examples to talk about in my interview, so will that affect my chances ? Or if I am able to show what i've learned from the couple of things I've been involved in, will I have a decent chance?

I hope some people who have been involved in the interview process can comment on this perhaps?

Thanx for all your help!

Guest Lisa88

Sorry about your rejection letter. I don't know much about the process (i'm an applicant this year, too)...but I think it's kinda neat that UBC actually tells u your score...i don't think any of the ontario schools do this...what kind of extracurrics did u have? Mine aren't spectacular either...i do have a long-term volunteer commitment, some research, but not much else...

Guest BCgirl

Hey Koggetsu,

Sorry to hear about the UBC rejection.. that sucks. I wouldn't worry too much about your non-academic score -- like I posted in the UBC forum, it's composed of those 5 criteria. Maybe your application didn't present those aspects of your background clearly enough to score well. I think that was my problem... and don't feel too bad: my non-academic score was a 9 last year! I really had issues with how they scored me.

Don't assume that means your chances of acceptance are low. I've already been accepted to Dal, and my non-academic side of my app hasn't changed a great deal since my UBC rejection.

Good luck with the rest of your applications! :)

Guest WesternGirl

Hi Koggetsu,

Last year, I also received a score of about 12 for UBC's autobiographical section. I thought for sure, my other essays would also be given really low scores. But, I ended up being accepted at Mac (go figure!), so obviously, I did reasonably well on my questions here. One school's scores are no really indicative of another schools', in my opinion, anyways.

WesternGirl

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Koggetsu,

Sorry to hear about your rejection, but like others have said, don't worry about it too much. UBC (and every other meds school) use specific and unique criteria when evaluating their applications, and consequently there will be variability in scoring based on that factor alone.

Good luck with your other applications,

Kirsteen

Archived