Premed 101 Forums

laptop or notepad/tablet?

Hey all,

I'm wondering if any current MacMed students can comment on what the best note taking method is at Mac? I currently have a 2-3 year old MBP, and I'm wondering if just using the regular method of annotating on powerpoint or on pdf readers is best? Or should I consider investing in a tablet of some sort...thoughts?

Hey all,

I'm wondering if any current MacMed students can comment on what the best note taking method is at Mac? I currently have a 2-3 year old MBP, and I'm wondering if just using the regular method of annotating on powerpoint or on pdf readers is best? Or should I consider investing in a tablet of some sort...thoughts?

I know you may be looking for something specific to Mac, but this link may be helpful!

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97612

I used to take notes on my laptop in the first 2 years of undergrad but in my 3rd year I switched to an iPad and loved it. It was so much easier in most of my courses to be able to quickly write on diagrams, especially embryology. I found that most of my friends who typed notes just tried to copy exactly what the prof was saying and didn't retain as much information after class, even though they were annotating directly on the PDFs too.

That being said, I don't think it's a huge deal. Some people hate how slow writing is and others hate how inflexible typing is.

How about printing out the pdf/slides and writing on them (physically)? Anyone still do this?

I liked having all my notes with me all the time, easier than trying to plan ahead at the beginning of the day trying to figure out what you'll need. Also anything to lighten the load while commuting was nice

Yeah, the feedback I'm getting suggests the sheer quantity of paper, ink, and crap to print out is a bit much. That's how I did it in undergrad, but I may need to change things up. I'll try annotating stuff and see how that goes, thanks guys. Anyone here have a tablet they'd recommend looking into for notes? I've been hearing good things about the surface pro, but I don't think I really need something that intense...

I just like the physical feel of writing on paper... Old habits are hard to kill.

Keep in mind too that sometimes slides won't always be posted on time, and sometimes the slides will be from the previous year, and some speakers change their slides more so than others

other times you will have a 100 slide lecture, and the speaker will only go through a portion of them...

Keep in mind too that sometimes slides won't always be posted on time, and sometimes the slides will be from the previous year, and some speakers change their slides more so than others

other times you will have a 100 slide lecture, and the speaker will only go through a portion of them...

:( Thanks for sharing this. I got some decisions to make now.

Archived