Premed 101 Forums

Canadian looking into US medical schools and SMP

I am a Canadian undergraduate with a GPA slightly under the requirements for acceptance into a Canadian medical school (which are very competitive. 3.85++). I expect to graduate with 3.5GPA and 30 MCAT (but haven't written yet)

I have been looking into doing a SMP in the US, but it is very hard to find Canadian friendly schools. Does anyone have personal experience with a SMP program and have some advice? My biggest worry is that I complete an SMP and then don't get into a US MD program because of my Canadian citizenship, and then am left with $50k + debt.

I've also looked into DO, which seem to be much easier to get into than both Canadian and American MD programs. If I studied at a US DO school, I would want to return to Canada to practice (and hopefully get a residency here). I heard that Canada is now looking at DO residencies the same as IMG's..

What is the likelihood of getting my DO and actually being able to find a jog in Canada? Are DO's looked down upon here? Will it make it nearly impossible to get a job?

If anyone has a list of Canadian friendly US SMP, MD and/or DO schools please post them! I have found a few on studentdoctor and canadapremed forum's, but when I emailed them, some have said that they don't actually take Canadians.

I look forward to some great advice!

if your going to the US, your chance of returning are getting harder and harder COMMING back to canada, as they keep putting restrictions. Canadian schools are havin a hard time matching their own students

If you wasnna stay in canada to practice go to medical school in canada!!

If you are in USA you #1 avenue should be USA!! and plan B should be Canada

DOs as IMGS (dont know whats going on)- but with IMG status, your chances are shot.

it will alweays be

Can MD>USA md> DO > OTHERS

in the US, once you put on a white coat no one cares what you are

if your going to the US, your chance of returning are getting harder and harder COMMING back to canada, as they keep putting restrictions. Canadian schools are havin a hard time matching their own students

DOs as IMGS (dont know whats going on)- but with IMG status, your chances are shot.

it will alweays be

Thanks. Medical school in Canada definitely is my number 1 choice, but it is just unrealistic to think that I would be able to get in with my current GPA. Canadian med schools are incredibly competitive, and it seems like they don't take into account that some people with a GPA below 3.85 would make excellent doctors (if not better than those with 4.0 GPA).

So ya, I am just trying to explore other options!

I am a Canadian undergraduate with a GPA slightly under the requirements for acceptance into a Canadian medical school (which are very competitive. 3.85++). I expect to graduate with 3.5GPA and 30 MCAT (but haven't written yet)

I have been looking into doing a SMP in the US, but it is very hard to find Canadian friendly schools. Does anyone have personal experience with a SMP program and have some advice? My biggest worry is that I complete an SMP and then don't get into a US MD program because of my Canadian citizenship, and then am left with $50k + debt.

I've also looked into DO, which seem to be much easier to get into than both Canadian and American MD programs. If I studied at a US DO school, I would want to return to Canada to practice (and hopefully get a residency here). I heard that Canada is now looking at DO residencies the same as IMG's..

What is the likelihood of getting my DO and actually being able to find a jog in Canada? Are DO's looked down upon here? Will it make it nearly impossible to get a job?

If anyone has a list of Canadian friendly US SMP, MD and/or DO schools please post them! I have found a few on studentdoctor and canadapremed forum's, but when I emailed them, some have said that they don't actually take Canadians.

I look forward to some great advice!

If you want to do an SMP just to improve your marks, why don't you just do an extra non-degree year at a Canadian university. It will be a lot cheaper than doing an SMP.

Your stats currently are only good for DO schools. I don't know much about getting work as a DO, but if you do go the DO route, you will have to find residency in the US as Canadian residencies now look at DO graduates as IMGs. However, if you can match into an ACGME accredited residency in the US, then you can find work in Canada and the US.

Thanks. Medical school in Canada definitely is my number 1 choice, but it is just unrealistic to think that I would be able to get in with my current GPA. Canadian med schools are incredibly competitive, and it seems like they don't take into account that some people with a GPA below 3.85 would make excellent doctors (if not better than those with 4.0 GPA).

So ya, I am just trying to explore other options!

if you think its unrealistic to get into a canadian medschool

it might also be unrealistic to return, considering you will be facing the same crowd on your way back

Once you leave caanda, your chance of comming back are shot esp as canada keeps plugging its holes-- they DONT WANT doctors, they really dont, no matter how much bs they say

it will alweays be

What restrictions?

You won't face any restrictions. I'm Canadian and attended a US MD school. We are treated equally to CMGs (Canadian Medical Graduates) if you are a Canadian citizen. I had no difficulty matching into my first choice speciality. I had plenty of interviews and matched at my number 1 choice for location in Canada.

Sure I considered options in the US, but I wanted to come back to Canada and had no difficulty in doing so. Don't even worry about coming back until your 3rd or 4th year if you get into a US medical school. It isn't a problem and I don't predict it to be in the next 5-10 years. AGAIN, you are treated equally to CMGs. The real key is doing electives in Canada in 4th year to show Canadian residency programs who you are and that you want to come back to Canada. Who knows, once you're done you might not even want to come back.

To OP: I would consider searching this forum a little harder. Lots of resources available in this forum for your exact situation.

What restrictions?

You won't face any restrictions. I'm Canadian and attended a US MD school. We are treated equally to CMGs (Canadian Medical Graduates) if you are a Canadian citizen. I had no difficulty matching into my first choice speciality. I had plenty of interviews and matched at my number 1 choice for location in Canada.

Sure I considered options in the US, but I wanted to come back to Canada and had no difficulty in doing so. Don't even worry about coming back until your 3rd or 4th year if you get into a US medical school. It isn't a problem and I don't predict it to be in the next 5-10 years. AGAIN, you are treated equally to CMGs. The real key is doing electives in Canada in 4th year to show Canadian residency programs who you are and that you want to come back to Canada. Who knows, once you're done you might not even want to come back.

To OP: I would consider searching this forum a little harder. Lots of resources available in this forum for your exact situation.

Yes, those of us attending USMD schools are CMGs, USDOs are IMGs.

Electives are priority to get back to Canada for residency as a USMD.

Yes, those of us attending USMD schools are CMGs, USDOs are IMGs.

Electives are priority to get back to Canada for residency as a USMD.

I'm a Canadian citizen attending a US MD school this year. I've been told that only 3 of my electives can be outside of the school's system. Although they have a global health system, I felt such a restriction a bit unnerving since it doesn't extend into Canada.

Do you think 3 Canadian-located electives would be sufficient for a Canadian residency provided they are appropriately placed?

I'm a Canadian citizen attending a US MD school this year. I've been told that only 3 of my electives can be outside of the school's system. Although they have a global health system, I felt such a restriction a bit unnerving since it doesn't extend into Canada.

Do you think 3 Canadian-located electives would be sufficient for a Canadian residency provided they are appropriately placed?

Yup that's plenty. I did two 3 week electives and that was more than enough.

the # of rotations vs canadian students puts u in a limitation, regardless of where you go

the canadian kids are prefered over any others, the canadian match system is also getting more and more competitive, and canadian first rate match keeps dropping

• 2 months later...

How is doing an extra non-degree going to help?

Schools look at your degree marks (whether it is just Bach, or Bach (Honours))

If you want to do an SMP just to improve your marks, why don't you just do an extra non-degree year at a Canadian university. It will be a lot cheaper than doing an SMP.

Your stats currently are only good for DO schools. I don't know much about getting work as a DO, but if you do go the DO route, you will have to find residency in the US as Canadian residencies now look at DO graduates as IMGs. However, if you can match into an ACGME accredited residency in the US, then you can find work in Canada and the US.

Archived