Premed 101 Forums

Mock 7: What would you do to improve healthcare?

Guest ManitobaMed

Guest ManitobaMed

One of my interview questions from last year:

If you were given a substantial amount of money to spend on *one* program to improve health, what would that program be and why?

Edited the subject heading to standardize them. -Ian

Guest Koggetsu

hmm I would say a national drug program, because of the huge escalating costs of drugs these days. But also i would set up a program which will try to compare the effects of all these new drugs and compare their efficacy with their costs and other factors and perhaps set up a system where the "better" drugs would be somehow favoured in the drug plan.

Any comments?

Guest MayFlower1

Hey ManitobaMed...long time no see (you probably know me as PeterHill0501)...good mock...I'm going to think about it and edit this post in a minute or so...the kid's supper is burning...

Peter

Edit:

Many proposals have been made to improve people's health and the healthcare system. My personal view is that substantial money could be saved for the healthcare system or faster/better service could be given to the public by better educating patients. Walk-in clinics, private after-hour emergency services, and hospital emergency rooms are filled with people coming in with non-emergent problems...doctors are paid to be on call to do phone triage and a large proportion of the calls that some receive (e.g., my wife) are things that patients could easily wait until the next day (e.g., colds, coughs, low grade fevers) to deal with or things which they've known about for a while which they have avoided dealing with proactively. If the public were more informed with respect to what situations are clearly not emergent and what things would warrant a trip to a hospital or after-hours clinic, I would guess we could easily half the number of these types of visits, leaving much needed and scarce resource for more critical/serious cases requiring immediate attention.

Just one idea. What do you think?

Peter

Guest Biochem10

Hey Peter, I was thinking of a similar answer. I also think that a good proportion of illness is due to improper nutrition and lifestyle habits--I would have a hard time coming up with a solution to remedy this, though. I'm sure millions of healthcare dollars would be saved if people took the time to exercise once in awhile and eat properly. Just think of how many people are diagnosed with high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Anyway, I was pretty impressed with the public health commercials that are coming out lately (the one about going to see your doctor about high cholesterol).

Guest UOMeds05

Good question... a similar one has been used at UofO... "You are now the health minister... what would you change". In the aftermath of Romanow, i would suspect such a question this year.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lots of thinking

I also had an interview at UofM last year and had a similar question.

I answered it in a different way. I said that I would want to put this money into what I percieved to be the largest health issues in Manitoba- so I talked about aboriginal health (in particular diabetes).....

just my thought and the importance of bringing in the context of the province you are interviewing in

Guest sally2001

i wanted to add something to this that i just remembered. i heard a physician who specializes in cardiac failure speak and he said "if smoking, alcohol, and excess sugar were eliminated worldwide, health care costs would drop by 75%".

he went on to say that worldwide the cost of heart disease is US$117B annually, in the US alone, its $30B/yr. food for thought.

Guest kellyl20

Right on lots -of -thinking. My uncle is a doctor at a specialized hospital in a large city. He said that if not for this particular ethnic group there would be very few patients there. Education and education would be the answer for this city.

Archived