Premed 101 Forums

Elective overlaps with Christmas week

You can do it at Dal in emerg or peds emerg.

However... I wouldn't really recommend it. You will need a break to decompress between your applications and interviews, and there is that whole "family time". Better yet, take it as some "me time". It's debatable how much post-CaRMS deadline electives matter, but you'll have mid-December and January for that either way.

Plenty of time to work on holidays as a resident and staff (and at least then you get paid).

All of the above! Everyone is stretched thin and not typically too pumped to be working over the holidays. Take a break and decompress before the interview tour. Depending on what you're applying to, you'll most likely know about all your interviews by then, and this elective will have near zero impact on anything.

That said, if you still want to, I'm no help and have no idea. Sorry :P

Which schools allow the third week of a 3-week elective to be during the week of Christmas?

I am sure if you ask, most schools will let you do it.

All the wards are running on skeleton crews during Xmas, I am sure they would appreciate free slaves.

I am sure if you ask, most schools will let you do it.

All the wards are running on skeleton crews during Xmas, I am sure they would appreciate free slaves.

I would not like a free slave who knew nothing of what he was doing because he was new to the province/hospital/specialty.

I am a lot more efficient by myself when I'm part of a skeleton crew.

If you can meaningfully contribute, that's one thing: but don't think we appreciate the warm body ... although I enjoy the extra company sometimes. Especially if you will sing Christmas carols in harmony with me.

I know that clerks like to be seen to be efficient and helpful and, while that's sometimes actually true, I can do pretty much everything faster and more efficiently. It's not like residents always make things more efficient either (anyone who's seen how community ORs work can attest to this).

Archived