Premed 101 Forums

Just a quick question about US schools

Heya guys,

So I am going into 4th year at UWO with a relatively strong upwards spike

(3.15, 3.15, and 3.83 with majority 3000 level science courses. I am proud of myself). I am expected roughly a 3.5 average on the OMSAS scale, I am going to guess similar on the AAMC scale.

Now, I want to attend American schools because I want to move to America and practice there (get on a path to citizenship), I don't want to return to Canada.

The reason being is I lived in Michigan for 10+ years (I did kindergarten to grade 9 there), and I'd like to go back. I'm an American at heart heh. For whatever reason my parent's never filed for citizenship and we moved back. If it also helps, my mom was an RN at Oakland General.

Now I am open to both DO and MD schools, since I want to move there. I am doing my MCAT next month, so let's hope I get at least a 30 haha.

So, with this intention, that I want to practice in the US, and I have a 10+ year connection to Michigan, will I stand a chance at the low-mid tier schools/Michigan schools (CMU, MSU DO and MD, Wayne, Virginia Commenwealth, etc etc etc)?

Will you be applying this summer or next summer after your 4th year?

This summer: zero chance. You only have 1 good year with your upward trend.

Next summer: With a 2nd good year for your upward trend, you have a better shot.

30+ MCAT required.

Next summer yes, after I finish my 4th year, and during the time between the start and end of that cycle, I will most likely do a 5th year to get another year of good marks in.

Next summer yes, after I finish my 4th year, and during the time between the start and end of that cycle, I will most likely do a 5th year to get another year of good marks in.

You are on the right track then, be prepared to potentially have to take the 2015 MCAT also.

US schools use a holistic approach with an upward trend being highly valued

Given you want to live in Michigan and don't mind the DO stream, you sound like an ideal students for the MSU-COM Canadian program

http://www.com.msu.edu/Admissions/Canadian%20Initiative.pdf

1 good year is not an upward trend, op needs at least 1 more good year.

Upward trends are good, but consistent good grades are the best and those people will always get priority.

The upward trend is mostly for US citizens, Canadians are expected to have good grades overall, due to immense competition.

OP has good grades and doesn't mind DO. Their chances are pretty decent .

2 years of low 3.0 are not "good". 1 year of 3.8 is good, but they will need at least 1 more year of 3.8+ to be competitive. I don't recommend the DO option, but even MSU DO has much higher stats then the OP.

Archived