Premed 101 Forums

Combining or seperating ec's on sketch

Hello premed'ers.

I posted this a few hours earlier; not sure why it was deleted.:confused:

I want to know whether I should combine different activities under one organization or separate them... Say I volunteered for years with Organization X and we had annual summer camps, seminars, etc... Should I put for each summer camp its own sketch item, and also a separate one for seminar?

Your advice is appreciated :)

I am wondering about combining items as well - I worked as a public health nurse with two different health units and I had similar responsibilities, but of course some differences. I wanted to combine them for my top 3 employment for Ottawa U...any thoughts??

This will require a bit of strategy, especially if you are applying to UOttawa because of their top 3 choices and the limited space available.

When I filled out OMSAS and needed to specify my top 3 for UOttawa, I grouped my ECs together into categories. For Belle_RN, I would recommend grouping the work in both units together IF you have two other meaningful experiences. When filling out a CV or an online application with limited space, it is always a trade between listing more if you have the opportunity to list meaningful activities.

If you've worked 4 places, 2 of which are in these different health units with similar responsibilities and one at MC and 2 others that were at McDonald's or some other less applicable location, you'd be better off describing both nursing related experiences in as much detail as possible. If, on the other hand, you have other jobs to list in your top 3, it'd be wise to group them together.

The same advice to mitmtl: group activities if you have more that you want to list. Keep in mind that it is a trade off, grouping them together lets you add more detail about other activities but detracts from what you can say about each of your activities for the same organization. Put careful thought into each of these choices because you want to build the most competitive application you can with the experiences that you have had!

Hello premed'ers.

I posted this a few hours earlier; not sure why it was deleted.:confused:

I want to know whether I should combine different activities under one organization or separate them... Say I volunteered for years with Organization X and we had annual summer camps, seminars, etc... Should I put for each summer camp its own sketch item, and also a separate one for seminar?

Your advice is appreciated :)

Combine to make them fit where you need them to[ex. ottawa top3] and especially combine if you've maxed 48 for the other schools. Otherwise, separate entries all the way.

Archived