Premed 101 Forums

Western 2002 Question #3

Guest Beth

Here is a question from hmsdread's interview at Western in 2002:

Medicine: Science vs. art

I am not sure what the exact question was (maybe hmsdread can clarify), but I wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts.

Thanks

Guest UWOMED2005

I had that question too, at BOTH my Queen's and Western interview, and I think the exact wording might have been closer to "Is Medicine a science or an art?"

I said both, and used that as a vehicle to talk both about my thoughts on the science (ie evidence based medicine) vs. the arts (rarely are there clear cut and dry answers) aspects of medicine, AND about my background in both the arts and sciences (I took a lot of both types of courses duing Undergrad.)

Guest hmsdread

Hey Beth,

I can't quite remember how they worded it, but the basic question was "do you believe medicine is more of a science, or more of an art"? I'm sure you can think of a number of ways this dichotomy reveals itself within medicine. Most people would probably agree that medicine is very much a combination of the two - all you have to do is discuss why.

I've also heard of a variation asking "what place does art have in medicine"?

I hope that clarifies things a bit.

hmsdread

Hmmm.... this is an interesting one. There's art in science and there's science in art... I don't think they're completely separable. So in agreement with the others, I think medicine involves both. In my reply to such a question I would first define what science and art is, as the definition of the latter is not always clear-cut and definitely open to varying interpretations. I would then provide examples that demonstrate both aspects.

Guest sally2001

hey,

this might be a silly question.. but what is art (?) and how is medicine art? i can understand surgery maybe being artistic but how is it art.. i'd have straight said it was a science.. but what do i know..

thanks

Guest UWOMED2005

The way I break it down is:

Art: "Feeling" is key. For example, to play music passionately, or to act you need to "feel" it.

Science: Reason is key. Cold calculation provides the best answer - when calculating the strength of material needed for a bridge, it is best to use calculation.

In medicine, you often need BOTH.

Hello,

Just to add my two cents to the science vs. art in medicine. I too agree that medicine is a combo of both... and, as for one example of the art of medicine, i think we need look no further than how a doctor interacts with his patients.

take two doctors with equal intellectual capacity and understanding of the science of medicine. the one is more like a robot when interacting with patients, not looking at the patient when the patient is speaking, does not take the time to listen to the patients questions, etc. of course, the system being the way they is, there is often little time/opportunity for an ideal level of patient care in this respect... the other doctor, however, in the same restricting environment of time schedules and priorities somehow manages to leave the patient happy, perhaps confident, perhaps more comfortable about asking questions and being informed, etc.

like comparing a computer-generated image and a Renaissance masterpiece, it's the difference between those doctors that practice medicine and those doctors that change peoples lives in profound ways by practicing medicine, while still managing to be happy and perhaps sane (although personally i think sanity is highly over-rated...) ;)

it's hard to define this art of medicine, but when one experiences it, it's strikingly clear, in my humble opinion.

hope that makes sense...!

- Misagh

Archived