Premed 101 Forums

Mock 15: What one thing would you change in your life?

Guest Biochem10

Guest Biochem10

Here's a question I was asked today: If you could go back and do one thing differently in your life what would it be? This is kind of analogous to the 'what is your biggest failure' question. honestly, I was stumped and I didn't have a very good answer.

Edited the subject heading to standardize them. -Ian

Guest Lactic Folly

From the wording, it doesn't sound like it has to be about a big failure.. you could say you wish you'd taken the opportunity to start an activity (like music lessons) sooner in life, before your fingers get all stiff and uncoordinated..

Tapptytap:

while that's a great answer (and honestly true for many), I'm finding that every time I hear that "I have no regrets" it sounds quite the cliche.

I'd probably say the same, but first give em something to smile at, like "I wish I'd remembered to phone my girlfriend on her birthday"... or maybe not.

You all seriously have nothing you'd go back and change? You've never made mistakes? I have a million things that I'd go back and chance if I had the chance... Not that I think I have had a bad life so far, just that there's always ways to improve...?

Guest MayFlower1

Peachy,

It's not that I have not made mistakes...I've made more than my fair share. I guess what I strongly relate to in Tappetytap's answer is that I have learned so much from my mistakes each time I've made them and they have shaped who I am. Who knows, if I went back and changed a mistake I made...I might have lost the opportunity for some critical learning which would have changed who I am...perhaps for better...but perhaps for worse...and I am extremely happy with who I am.

Peter

Guest tappety tap

Peter,

Thanks for clarifying...that is exactly what I mean. I guess having no regrets is a cliche, but cliches are cliches because many people beleive and experience them. It's the honest truth so I think that in an interview, it's all about how you say it. If every single answer is a cliche, then obviously it will look like you have no depth of thought but I erally wouldn't change anything I have done that has any significance.

Hey Biochem,

I'm curious about what you told them (as long as it's not something personal that you would rather not share). Was this at your McGill interview?

I can think of a lot of things for this one... Hopefully that's not a bad sign!!! :)

Guest Biochem10

Hi BC girl, I told them that there was nothing major I would change. I feel like I've always thought out my decisions before making them and I feel happy with where I am in my life right now. Then I mentioned that I probably would have changed some of my childhood behaviours (I had very little attention span when I was younger), but then after thinking about it for a second I said, "Well, I was probably just being a kid." yeah, I know weird answer--my thoughts were just all over the place!

Do y'all think that actually naming things you would change is a bad thing? It seems like pretty much everyone is giving the answer "I'm happy with all of my decisions" ?

Guest Lactic Folly

I don't think it would be.. in fact, the question provides a good opportunity to talk about positive things you wish to add to your life. I like sally2001's example (who wouldn't want to be bi/tri/multilingual if given the choice?), which you then add to by explaining your plans to increase your language skills.

It is not that I am happy with all of my decisions (after all I nearly had to complete 2 undergrads before getting in...). Is more I think that I have learned a lot from my many mistakes. Yes, maybe I should have studied more during my first undergrad and gone on to be nearly graduated from med by now. But having to go the longer way let me meet many of my very good friends and has given me a greater perspective, for example I know that medicine is not the only career that I could be good at. In other words if I changed any part of my life I would not be me. And with my many faults I think I am an OK me.

Guest MayFlower1

I agree with Lactic Folly, Sil...and, of course, myself ;)

As I said, I have made mistakes in the past but wouldn't choose a different path for exactly the same types of reasons as Sil has mentioned. However, as Lactic Folly has indicated, my past learning has influenced me to want to have influence over my future...being a doctor is a path I've chosen after having taken the path I have taken...

Peter

I know what everyone is saying when they say "I have made mistakes but it is those mitakes that have shaped me and I wouldn't change anything...". I however, disagree with using this approach. I strongly disagree with anyone that says they wouldn't change anything that they've done in their lives and I feel that by saying this, you are taking the easy way out. Think of how many people will be saying the exact same thing in their interview...I think the interviewers will be relieved to hear a different answer to this question. Remember, the question is asking you if you could change anything in you life, would you, not whether or not you have any regrets...

just a thought

steve

Archived