Premed 101 Forums

Mock 8: If you could have any job, what would it be?

Guest sassy101

Guest sassy101

I was looking on line at the student doctor .net for past interview questions and came across something that worried me.

A student was asked " if he could have any job what would he pick? "...The student replied with something completely different than a doctor. Apparently the interviewer said " Oh good...if you would have said doctor I would have asked you to leave "

Based on this, doesn't it seem like some interviewers want you to act like you are not that passionate about medicine? To me this is really stupid. If you have worked hard enough to receive a medical school interview doesn't that suggest that you really are serious about a career in medicine?

I guess my question is why would an interviewer say something like that? Why would an interviewer applaud a student who says that medicine would be a second choice to some other career?:\

I can appreciate that there are other jobs I would enjoy doing, however medicine is my first choice. Does an interviewer want to get the impression that a career in medicine is the only thing for you or do they want to get the impression that there are other careers you would equally enjoy?

I am really curious about what you think Ian, however any comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited the subject heading to standardize them. -Ian

Guest UWOMED2005

I'd answer medicine. And I think 99% of interviewers would find that response acceptable, as long as you seemed genuine.

Perhaps the interviewer in question was a disgruntled physician or med student who always wanted to be a rock star, artist, professional athlete, astronaut, the president, or rodeo clown and chose medicine because it was the safe bet (it's easier to become a physician than an NBA superstar if you're 5'3", Muggsy Bogues excluded :) .) And, I so know some people who would find it rather incredulous that someone would want to be a doctor over a professional athlete.

Other than that, I can't see where they were coming from. I wouldn't worry about it - it's best to answer that question honestly!

Guest Biochem10

I agree with you UWOMED2005, I would probably answer medicine, even though I've fantasized about spending my days and nights scuba diving, studying exotic fish or something. Realistically that's not very practical, it's too self-indulgent and I'd probably be bored after a year.

Guest Koggetsu

I've seen this question before and I've thought about it for a long time too.

But I can see why someone would want an answer other than being a physician.

I mean seriously, as a child, or even now, haven't any of you had a dream to be something you cannot be in reality? (eg. a sports star, a singer, a president of the United States?) I'm sure 99% of us do but because of many restrictions and factors in our life, we might not be able to achieve that.

That is not to say that I don't really want to be a physician but to me, ap hysician is a near perfect blend of the skills that I possess and want to use, my values, my goals in life, my interest and passion and other things that are important to me.

So for me, if you answer something else, then it just shows that you are being "you" and being "realistic" and that you show that you do have other dreams or intersts in your life besides medicine.

What do you guys think? Am I completely wrong for saying this at an interview???

But to me

Guest Ian Wong

I think this is a question that has both a serious answer and a not-so-serious answer.

The serious answer is: a doctor. Unless you're a nut, people don't just bust themselves through undergrad, pay hundreds of bucks to study for and write the MCAT, and fly across Canada so that they can go to an interview and say: "Well, no, actually I DON'T really want to be a doctor..."

The not-so-serious answer is: Joe Sakic. Hell, I'd love to play hockey for a living, let alone millions of bucks a year and get paid to travel all the time, and get to play golf in the off-season after the Avalanche get knocked out in the first round. :) But really, even though everyone dreams at some point of being a rock star or something, it's just not realistic for any of us, and that's when being practical comes into play.

Given that interview question, I'd answer "doctor", but that's because I'd rather come off serious than goofy in an interview.

Ian

UBC, Med 4

Guest MayFlower1

sassy101,

I love this question...it's actually a much nicer way of asking, "Why do you want to become a doctor?" I'm 39 and have had several careers...so my answer may be a bit different than others on the board for whom medicine would be a first career:

Having had several careers to date, becoming a doctor IS my dream profession. It centres on what I enjoy most, that is, understanding, supporting and enhancing the human condition.

The aspect of a career in medicine that excites me the most is that, for me, it won't seem like work at all as it encompasses things that exhilarate me and bring me great satisfaction. First and foremost, I love people. I enjoy supporting them as evidenced by the volunteer rehabilitation work I did at the Royal Victoria Hospital's Low Vision Clinic, the St. John Ambulance volunteering I do and yearly community building/strengthening activities I co-organize in our neighbourhood. I thoroughly enjoy the concept of holistic healthcare which encompasses the social, psychological as well as physical issues that affect people's health. I'm familiar with the social and psychological issues through my education and application of psychological principles...medicine will enable me to further enhance my understanding of these as well as provide me with the opportunity to learn and master the third leg of the three-legged stool...so to speak...the physical aspects of healthcare. Medicine will also provide me with continuous learning...there is nothing I dislike more than becoming stagnant. It's so easy to take a high paying job that doesn't force you to learn any more, however, as I've experienced first hand...that wears thin really quickly for someone who thrives and is committed to keeping current through learning every day of their lives. A career in medicine will also allow me to continue conducting human research which to date, I have pursued in the areas of pharmaceuticals, human factors and high tech product development, low vision and perception and the national research study I've recently completed to help Health Canada better understand Canadian women's experiences during pregnancy, childbirth and early parenthood. Becoming a doctor also ensures stability and work flexibility which will enable me to maintain balance in my life which is extremely important to me...I am a single father with two precious girls...I have a beautiful wife who I cherish...I enjoy ensuring I have time for my friends and family and, as well to pursue my hobbies and interests of music, close-up illusions and volunteer work...these things are important to keep me whole and healthy. Finally, becoming a doctor will enable me to do what I love most...having a positive and tangible impact on people's lives.

Peter

Archived