Premed 101 Forums

Drug patents and approval

Guest Koggetsu

Guest Koggetsu

I read about this issue a long time ago about how the Canadian system of drug approval was very inefficient and slow compared to the FDA.

Can anyone comment on that as well as issues on drug patents?

Or can anyone give me a good site to look for info on these issues with regards on their effect on patients in our healthcare system.

Thankx

Guest UWOMED2005

I know it took the lost time for Canada to approve the sale of Red Bull. Not exactly a drug, and in fact it's pretty bad for you, but it's so tasty and gives a great boost to take advantage of Friday Nights after long weeks in MedSci 146. . . :)

According to my biotech prof, the U.S. FDA review process takes a minimum of 8 years and only 20% of the tested drugs are accepted in the end.

I don't know anything about the Canadian system. Does Canada actually take longer than this?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Perhaps to the chagrin of some pharmaceutical companies, there are upsides to having a finer net to pass or reject the sale of certain drugs here at home. One example: wandering around Europe I'm often reminded of the attributes of the Canadian drug approval system when I spot yet another unfortunate thirty-ish individual coping with phocomelia. Compared to those in Canada, the relevant bodies in France, the U.K. and other countries in Europe seemed to avidly green-light the sale and use of thalidomide in the '60's. I don't find myself reminded as often of this situation when strolling the cities and towns of Canada.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived