Premed 101 Forums

Late App and References

I've submitted my secondaries and I keep checking my application but one of references to the schools has not been filled out. It is my research PI apparently he is away on a conference.

He wont be filling it out until first week of August is my application essentially ruined ?

I spoke to some of the schools the general consensus among them regarding this issue. The recommended time line of two weeks is to ensure that we don't wait too long of a time to submit.

This rolling admission is stressful writing a good secondary vs submitting really early.

I don't know how to proceed with some of them.

• 2 weeks later...

You are fine, Wayne State only start reviewing applications now. So you are I assume right at the sweet spot for them, just remember to get all your references in which can be a nuisance especially because different american schools have different criteria. 

1. AAMC account - MCAT EXAM date 

2. AMCAS - transcripts, reference letters, primary application and MD schools, application fee (about US$500 for 10 schools to AMCAS), submit 1st application, start very early in June each year, submit in June will verified within 2 weeks, July will take 3 weeks, August will take 4 weeks, etc

3. Get 2nd application from each MD school you selected by email, login and fill out 2nd application (select program, select campus, extra essay, upload photo and CV, etc), pay 2nd application fee to MD school (about $100 to $150 US$ each), most schools due by Oct.15 or Nov.01, some schools due by Dec or next year Jan. But you better complete it within 2 weeks after received your 2nd application invite email to show you are not a person to put things off until the last minute.

4. AMCAS will verify your transcripts, correct errors, convert grade to american GPA 4.0 system and calculate your GPAs within 6 weeks after received your transcripts and you pay fee and submit your 1st application

5. AMCAS will forward your 1st application, Verified transcripts, calculated GPAs, reference letters to your selected MD schools.

AMCAS works like OMSAS except you can assign which reference letters go to which MD schhols.

Archived