Premed 101 Forums

Interview Preparation

Guest Emila

This is my first time applying to med school and I was wondering if someone who's been through interviews could give some advice.

I've been keeping up with news and looked at sample interview questions on the internet. I've signed up to do a mock interview but my school (U of Waterloo) doesn't have a pre-med program so I don't think they know too much about the process.

What kinds of things do I need to know about Canadian healthcare?

What do I need to know about the medical programs at the different schools?

How can I best prepare for the interview?

I'm feeling very stressed out. Any pointers would be helpful.

Guest therealcrackers

Hi there! I hope this will help you out in your preparations. Letters will be going out from the 5 Ontario medical schools over the next month about interview candidacies.

Mock interviews: if your school's career centre has interview training courses or practice sessions, see if you can get some background material, and tailor it to the interviews you are likely to undergo. Duplicating the McMaster interview would be very difficult, but the other schools' interviewing styles should be easy to copy and practice.

If you have friends who are interested, you can ask them to serve as the interviewers to judge your tone, your pacing, your composure, and get as much feedback as you can.

Preparing for the other aspects of the interview: once you know which schools you're interviewing at, the packages should include a schedule of the activities the admissions people and students have planned around the interview sessions. Find out about billeting, hotels, transportation, meals, information sessions, and special events; decide if you want to attend any or all of them (but if the students are enthusiastic, you can learn and see A LOT).

Canadian healthcare: Read the health issues sections of local and national newspapers to recognize what's at the forefront, and stay current as best you can. What are the implications for two-tiered health care, alternative funding plans, jumping the queue, those kinds of issues.

Medical schools: you might want to check out the schools' web sites. Find out the emphasis and focus of their curricula; it varies considerably from school to school, and identifying the parts of it that appeal to you most will help. Two words: EFPO roles!

Stress: Can't do much about that (I have trimester 2 exams in three weeks), but recognize that getting an interview means you have the 2-dimensional qualifications to be a doctor. Or at least a medical student ;) . Add the 3rd (your physical presence at the interview) and the 4th (your progress and growth over time!) and your chances of admissions are pretty good. Good luck!

Graham, UWO MEDS 2 --- three time applicant, too...

Largely you will need to determine the answers to those questions for yourself...the point of the interview is to demonstrate your individuality and ability to think...if every applicant found the identical information to use as 'facts' in their interview, it would defeat the purpose.

In terms of preparing, check out some of the earlier posts in the Ottawa forum:

pub125.ezboard.com/fpreme...=208.topic

and there is a lot of valuable info on this forum and on the interview feedback site.

Good luck!

Archived