Premed 101 Forums

Application Timeline

I have a Bsc (cGPA ~ 3.6-3.7, upward trend), research based MSc (4.0 GPA) with 2 publications in press, and strong EC's.

My problem is the MCAT score. I am rewriting in September and don't want to apply till I get my score back just to be sure. Is it too late to apply for US schools (most school I am looking at have deadlines for Nov and Dec) after the score release date in October?

I just completed my masters and I have been looking for a job and it has not been easy. So, I would really like to apply during this cycle rather than wait any longer. Any advice?

I have a Bsc (cGPA ~ 3.6-3.7, upward trend), research based MSc (4.0 GPA) with 2 publications in press, and strong EC's.

My problem is the MCAT score. I am rewriting in September and don't want to apply till I get my score back just to be sure. Is it too late to apply for US schools (most school I am looking at have deadlines for Nov and Dec) after the score release date in October?

I just completed my masters and I have been looking for a job and it has not been easy. So, I would really like to apply during this cycle rather than wait any longer. Any advice?

See how the MCAT goes, but it would be a bit too late to be competitive for this cycle. With a good MCAT score and a early application next cycle, you should be set.

One step at a time and don't rush, otherwise you'll end up hampering yourself more.

Is the current MCAT still going to be valid for next year, after the changes are implimented in 2015? If all goes well this time with the MCAT, is it still worth it to give it a shot and apply or is there no point becasue it will be too late?

U.S. schools uses the rolling system (first-come-first-serve) so if you apply after September it's definitely going to be late even for Americans. Even if you apply right now but indicate that you are going to take your MCAT in September, most schools are still going to hold your application until you get the score back. So yeah, you are late...

As for the old/new MCAT, it's really school-specific. Contact the schools you are interested in applying and find out whether they will look at the old MCAT score. Good luck.

Is the current MCAT still going to be valid for next year, after the changes are implimented in 2015? If all goes well this time with the MCAT, is it still worth it to give it a shot and apply or is there no point becasue it will be too late?

Too late and detrimental to be labelled as a re-applicant when you re-apply the following year. Interviews have begun at most schools that are rolling admissions and it will only get harder from now.

It's a little late for this year, but it's doable.

1.  open AMCAS asap - mail transcripts, reference letters, fill 1st application - BUT don't select schools yet

2. Take MCAT in Sep. - you should can guess your scores, feel good? Above 35+ ? Yes? Select schools, assign reference leeters, pay fee and submit your 1st application in Sep. otherwise do these again next June

Some schools are not ROLLING, like Dartmouth, but not many.

• 5 weeks later...

As most people have already stated it is going to be too late for a lot of schools.

That being said, its still not too late for all schools. I would follow Want2beMD's advice and start the applications and then when you get your MCAT marks back decide then if you want to go through with it or not. 

Not only are there some schools that don't do rolling admissions, but there are some schools that do rolling that haven't actually started processing primaries yet. you might only find 5 or 6 schools that meet your criteria but it sounds like you have a pretty competitive application and it would be a shame to waste such great grades and scores just because some schools you really want next year decide they aren't going to use the 2013-2014 MCAT (even UBC is only giving it 2 years, the 2012 one will be accepted longer than the 2013 one will be... its crazy! if only because its out of our control)

Do the research on the schools and give it a shot! Are you also applying to Canadian schools this cycle? cause if so it makes sense to the americans at the same time so you can get all your offers and decide at the same time. 

Archived