Premed 101 Forums

The blind trying to see

Guest Liana

Guest Liana

This is a question to all of you current med students as well as reapplicants, on behalf of those of us who are second guessing the outcome of our interviews.

It's been stated many times on this board that trying to determine the results of an interview from one's feeling afterward will provide little indication of what might be written on that letter the admissions committee finally sends out. However, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would at least like to pretend to have an idea. Some people are certain they will get in, and receive rejection letters instead, while the opposite also occurs. Does this tend to be due, in part, to the innate self-confidence of those applicants? I'm wondering if there are certain regrettable aspects of the interview that are not necessarily correlated with rejection. For instance, I would think that noticing that the interviewers seemed to be offended with your comments in an interview would be a stronger indicator of rejection than, say, fumbling with words.

What were some of the aspects of your interview that you wish you could go back and change, and how did things work out? Obviously, your success can't necessarily be attributed to those one or two actions, but I would think that there might be at least minor patterns in the outcome of less than perfect interviews.

Guest PeterHill0501

Liana,

This is a message I posted in another discussion group...I think it applies here as well:

I wouldn't be so hard on yourself. My personal belief, after having talked to people who went through their interviews this year and many friends I have who have been through the program at Ottawa U, is that there is no way of knowing how you were perceived based on reactions you had from the interviewers or your perceptions with respect to how you did. If you were thoughtful, not defensive, honest and well-spoken I would suggest that you have as good a chance as anybody else. Who knows, perhaps my perception of how my interview went was different from that of the interviewers. I personally believe that I gave it my best shot and if I don't get an offer it could be due to one of several factors including: 1) there were a bunch of incredibly brilliant people interviewed...which based on those I talked with on interview day is absolutely true, 2) there are only so many spots available and they can't give one to each and every excellent candidate, 3) evaluating someone's personality/thought patterns and likelihood of success in a medical program based on a 45 minute interview is tough, at best, and is susceptible to human error...they can only do as best as they can given the circumstances 4) my personality type, experiences, thought processes weren't judged as being the best fit for medicine relative to other candidates, etc., etc.

The one thing I know is that regardless of whether I get in this year, I will pursue a career in medicine...if it's not this year...then it will be next...or the next. The key is to have a rock solid backup plan....and a clear vision of what you want. I will be leaving a great job if I get accepted...if I don't get an offer then I will still have a great job. I would strongly suggest to any other candidate to have such a backup and then the outcome isn't as critical one way or another. Let's face it, if you're smart, motivated, and all the other characteristics that make a good candidate a good candidate you will eventually get in if you are persistant. Just my two cents.

When I walked out of my interview I felt great and thought I had ace'd it...after a day or so my wee little mind began an activity it so loves...thinking and reflecting...I wish I wouldn't do that sometimes! I began reflecting on my answers and began doubting myself. This is a characteristic, I believe, of people I would want in medicine...always questioning...always thinking...reflecting...but able to make a decision. After having reflected on the interview I concluded that I did the best possible job I could have under the circumstances and that I felt good about it. Let's face it, the admissions process to medical school is a complex multivariate problem with objective and subjective factors as components. Anybody who says the process "is a lottery" or similar thing just isn't giving credit to those faced with the significant challenge of selecting candidates. I wouldn't want to be in the interviewers' shoes...they are, to some degree, determining what people's future will be, at least for the next year. Again, I think what's important is that you have a backup plan, you're committed to a career in medicine, you answer thoughtfully, intelligently, non-defensively, you listen carefully, etc.

I hope this helps...

Peter

Guest heyheyhey

Wish I spoke better. When I speak to fast when im nervous I stumble over my words and they sound slurred. I wish I formulated my answers more clearly, like I would have if I was writing them out. I gave good answers but they where not as structured and easy to follow as I would have liked.

Guest From Ottawa

My interview did not go well and I am sure 100% for that university I did not get in. My answers were not good, and I wish I had been more prepared. The interviewers were actually quite nice. I wish I had a list of things I wanted to tell them before the interview and actually got to tell them. I don't think that there is anything wrong with over preparing and I would probably think more of my answers next time around.

Archived