Premed 101 Forums

volunteer and extra activities

Guest noname

Guest noname

quick question: how important are volunteer and extra activites to getting into med? I currently take a martial art class, workout for 1 1/2 at least about 5 days a week, volunteer at a hospital, work all summer, and have fairly good grades (need to study to).... I find I have very little time to devote to anything else with school and all this other stuff... do I need to do more or do interviewers even look at this stuff that much

any opinions would be appreciated

Guest mying

I can't say for sure but I can say it depends on your application and the school you're applying to.

No doubt in my mind that my extracurricular activities (I essentially ran and continue to take part in running a non-profit business in the health care sector) made a very large difference to my interview because it gave me a LOT to talk about and a LOT of experiences to share as examples of teamwork, dealing with clients, difficult ethical situations, stress, stress, and things like that. I didn't have academic awards or much research experience or anything like that.

But it's not what or how much extracurricular you do, it's what you make of it. What did you learn from martial arts? What, especially, did you learn at the hospital, how did it develop you and your people/social/etc skills further? What is your summer job and what did it teach you? That's what they will want to know.

Guest UWOMED2005

mying is pretty much right on the money. Sounds like you do have pretty good extracurriculars!

It's easy to think you don't have enough. . . there's lots of rumours out there, and there are people out there who are pretty much superhumans (and/or liars!) when it comes to extracurricular so it is easy to think you have to cure cancer, start a hospital in India, and win an olympic gold medal to get into medical school. While there are people who might have things like that on their resume, many do not.

Med schools consider good extracurriculars to be a good measure of well roundedness, but it's more a case of seeing whether you have a lot of stuff, or none at all. As one of the 4th years here put in relation to the CARMS match, we all pretty much look the same when you put stuff down on paper.

Archived