Premed 101 Forums

Best Mcat Review Material - 2015

PowerCubed

Hello everyone,

I was wondering what you guys personally thought were the best review material for the MCAT. I'm looking at either the Kaplan or TPR sets for the new test. Which has in the past been better review in your opinion, and why? If anyone has gotten the new set(s) do you like them, why or why not?

Thanks for your input

Hey, 

I have been using Kaplan review. Their physical and biological science sections are great. They provide you with all the detailed information you need + thousands of questions in passage and discrete form. Their verbal, however, lacks compared to other companies, such as TPR. It is not quite as hard as the AAMC verbal, so you may want to look for another company for verbal. I know a lot of people prefer EK for verbal. 

Hello everyone,

I was wondering what you guys personally thought were the best review material for the MCAT. I'm looking at either the Kaplan or TPR sets for the new test. Which has in the past been better review in your opinion, and why? If anyone has gotten the new set(s) do you like them, why or why not?

Thanks for your input

I ordered the Kaplan box set, and though I haven't gone through it all yet, what I have seen I like. I think it will cover all of the material, but I also plan on using my old EK stuff too. Orgo and physics are really difficult for me, so I like having different materials that present the content in different ways.

Applicable for 2015?

Yes, I think you could modify the study plans accordingly. 

I know Kaplan and TPR have released their study materials for the 2015 MCAT, while EK and TBR should be releasing theirs in the coming months.  You could also probably get away with just using the current materials and then supplementing/removing information in accordance with the AAMC Content Guide, as well as buying the social science study books.  Ultimately, the real issue is going to be a lack of practice exams, but everyone else is going to be in the same boat.  So, if it were me, I would use some of the current exams in combination with my own 'made up' exams. 

Anyone thinking of using the EK 9th edition (2015 version) that is coming out in October?

I'm planning on buying this + TBR 2015 which is coming out around January. I know that these 2 companies had great reviews in their past editions, so I'm hoping the trend stays the same.

With that being said, anyone have experience using TPR 2015?

Anyone thinking of using the EK 9th edition (2015 version) that is coming out in October?

I'm planning on buying this + TBR 2015 which is coming out around January. I know that these 2 companies had great reviews in their past editions, so I'm hoping the trend stays the same.

With that being said, anyone have experience using TPR 2015?

Don't you think Kaplan looks pretty good? It's got some nice reviews as well!

For chemistry and physics, I think the Berkeley review books were the best. For biology, I felt that TPR and BR were way too in-depth and not worthwhile, unless you are weak in bio. In this case, I would solely recommend EK and maybe supplement that with TPR for your weak sections. For verbal, I would recommend EK and TPR. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

As an MCAT tutor I can recommend Examcrackers.  They have the best material in my opinion.  I'm not familiar with their 2015 stuff yet all I've seen for Psych/Soc is a Next Step Test Prep book.

I like stand alone questions delivered to my inbox every day.  Check out mcatquestionaday.com or freemcatquestion.com

Archived