Premed 101 Forums

Underage Consent

Guest Champ

Guest Champ

Quick Question:

Does an underaged patient have the right to refuse life-saving treatment. (ie. someone who is a Jehovah witness and is refusing a blood transfusion) ?

Guest Ian Wong

Moving to the Interviews forum... Underage is not as important as whether the teenager is judged to be able to give or withhold informed consent. And in the interview situation, there usually isn't a right or wrong answer, but rather how you approach the question.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest medwant2b

Hi Champ:

According to "Doing Right A Practical Guide to Ethics for Medical Trainees and Physicians" by Philip.C. Hébert--pp. 93-94, an under age patient can refuse treatment if they are ruled to possess the capacity of a competent adult.

There was recently a court ruling in Alberta on a case dealing with a minor. Check it out. ca.news.yahoo.com/020221/6/jqsv.html

It appears that in this case the patient doesn't properly understand her circumstances. A Globe & Mail editorial (April 12th) addressed this case as well. It stated "... she told her hospital social worker that she did not believe she would die if she received no blood products."

I hope that helps. Cheers! :)

Guest Champ

Medwant2be,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Good luck at UT on the April weekend. I may see you there. I am a post-grad as well.

Champ

Archived