Premed 101 Forums

Does appearance count ?

Guest Champ

Guest Champ

When I applied to Meds (in the UK) last year, and was interviewed I went into the interview with a very trendy 4-button suit, goatee and pony-tailed long hair past my shoulders. I did not get accepted likely for many reasons, however post-interview I spoke to a physician (here in the UK) who told me something very interesting. He said that when they are interviewing candidates interviewers often try and look at you through the patient's eye. Saying that made me realise that perhaps the first impression a patient would have of me would not be the same as if I had a low, clean shaven cut and a standard navy suit.

I am in no way suggesting that ad coms look at appearance in making their decision, but does anyone believe that at a subconcious level interviewers evaluate you on the physical appearance/presentaion of one-self.

This year, I cut my hair and shaved the goatee and bought a standard blue suit. We will see if it make a difference!

Furthermore, where and when does draw the line between individuality and conformity.

champ.

Guest ItsmeMelissa

Oh champ? Say it isn't so. Say you haven't opened this can of worms again :( . Last time we went there the discussion ended up with some silly girl claiming that she was going to get breast implants in order to get in!

As much as I claim not to be a conformist, I must admit that I wore to my interview what I deemed to be appropriate in the eyes of an adcom rather than my standard uniform of jeans, rock t-shirt, and runners. Facts are facts, and many a first opinion are formed based on appearance. Sad but true.

Melissa

Guest Champ

Dear Melissa,

I was not on this board when the similar thread was going. Must have been before my time. In any case, I think to a certain extent most people tend to leave their individualistic tendencies at home on interview day.

While there are those who don't, it is perhaps a risky strategy, as I found out first hand.

champ

Guest UWOMED2005

I was a bit worried about this topic myself, until I met my billeter last year for interview weekend! He had long hair and a goatee, and pointed out that MOST interview committee members wouldn't be dissuaded by long hair or a goatee. And I think it's more important to be comfortable in the interview than worry how you look.

Guest ItsmeMelissa

Champ, do you mind me asking where you interviewed in the U.K.? I spent 2 years living there and have dreamed of attending school there!

Guest Liana

It depends on the interviewing committee and the relative conservatism in the region where you are applying. On the one hand, donning the standard navy suit and clean cut hair shows that you are willing to present yourself to meet expectations (of patients, of benefactors, etc etc) which are unfortunately present.

On the other hand, dressing in a more conspicuous manner (while still being yourself) shows the admissions committee that you are willing to take risks to support your own beliefs, that you are unique (you could stand out when it comes time for them to make their decision), and don't necessarily hop on the bandwagon.

Either technique could work, with the proper admissions committee present. Since you can't control for this, my belief is that you should try to take the middle ground. Dress conservatively, try not to evoke any negative connotations with your appearance, but at the same time personalize it and perhaps add a unique piece or two. For instance, one could wear a coloured shirt with that navy suit, or an interesting piece of jewelry.

Unfortunately, there is an element of proving you are able to jump through the hoops involved in medical school admissions, but there is just as importantly an element of proving that you are able to question the validity of the hoops if you think they're irrelevant.

Guest browsing

as for the goatee/long hair item, I think it really depends on the interviewer. If that person is a bit stubborn and prefers a conservative appearance, it doesn't matter how eloquent your defense is about your looks, it will still not score points.

as for uniqueness, I think unique experiences and skills are useful, but if one's fashion is too unique, it may lend the impression of being rebellious and not able to conform to the team-spirit nature of the hospital.

about "question the validity of the hoops ", :) I think the discussion forum here has been down this road quite a few times now. We can yell all we want about the GPA cutoffs, "crap-shoot" nature of adcoms etc, and if we don't got through the hoops we'll just have to try, try again :)

Guest Champ

Melissa,

I interviewed at the Univeristy of Oxford Clinical School. The have a 4-yr fast track program for people with a bio-science degree. Last year they admitted only 10 people into the program. Unfortunately, of the 10, only 1 was admitted from overseas. As a Canadian, my odds were extremely slim out of 250 applicants. In any case, I was shortlisted into the last 40 or so but the actual overseas position went to a friend of mine who was from Texas. (she had long hair, but no goatee..hehehe).

If you are interested in UK schools, alot are now developing these fast track programs which are 4-years. Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, St Georges (london) all have fast track programs. One thing to remember that if the long term plan is to practise in Canada, it may be a lot more re-qualifying reqiured.

Oxford was the logical place for me to apply as it was where I was based (and still am) for the past 4 years.

Let me know if you want further info.

champ

Archived