Premed 101 Forums

Er Fellowship In Canada After Training In Usa?

geese

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently in PGY-2 in FM in the states. Interested in doing EM fellowship in Canada after I graduate. I'm a canadian citizen and plan to go back home after I'm done.  I know FM residency in Canada is 2 years and the 3rd year is considered the fellowship but I'll be done PGY-3 when I graduate in 2 years since FM residency is 3 years here in the states. I'd like to get CCFP-EM certified in Canada. 

Can anyone shed some light on this? Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks

2 ways to get CCFP-EM certification, both involving passing the CCFP-EM exam. But to be eligible for the exam, you must:

EITHER

1) do the R3 year, 

OR

2) accumulate 400 EM hours/yr (as attending) for 4 consecutive yrs

Here's the eligibility on CFPC website http://www.cfpc.ca/EligibilityandApplication/ 

I am not sure about your situation, though it looks a bit sketchy to have your PGY-3 FM year considered straight equivalent to the Canadian R3 FM-EM year which would allow you to write the CCFP-EM exam.

That being said, you are absolutely eligible to apply for the Canadian FM-EM R3 year once you finish your US FM residency (yes I know you'll end up doing one more year of residency than your Canadian counterparts)

I would directly contact with the CFPC to ask about this issue

Good luck!

Dany

I wasn't trying to have my 3rd year as an equivalent to the r3 ER year. I completely plan on doing the ER fellowship after I finish my 3rd year of residency. Thanks for the input! I'll definitely give them a call and find out more of the logistics. 

Archived