Premed 101 Forums

*List of Interviews/Rejections

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*jeniah

Date:***2/12/2001 6:27 am*PST

here's what i have heard-

toronto interviews are 1st w/e in march, 1st w/e in april, 1st w/e in may. invitations to the first w/e have already been sent along with about 1000 rejections. so if you haven't heard from them yet its probably good news. also i have heard they are only interviewing 400 for 200 spots.

new UWO cutoffs are on their website, i have heard that only 350 or so applicants have met these and will all be interviewed. invitations are coming out end of feb.

ottawa is interviewing 500 for their 100 spots. good luck getting an interview if you're not french speaking or from that area!

Guest Ian Wong

If you have a specific question about a given medical school, such as GPA/MCAT cut-offs, interview numbers, etc, please ask it in that forum category. The Interview forum is for generalised updates. Ian, Mar 24, 2001

Author:*Ian Wong, MS2

Date:***2/11/2001 10:11 pm*PST

Hi,

Mucho thanks to Kirsteen for providing the bulk of the below information. I wanted to summarise all the information about rejections/interview notices onto a single thread that everyone could easily access. Please post on this thread only to update the schools, and not to ask questions. If you want to ask questions, please start a new topic.

For West to East, here's what's cooking in the land of admissions:

UBC: Interviews only. Approx. 800 people applied this year (up about 100 from last year), with roughly 300 interviews being granted. From this, 128 people will be accepted. Traditionally, UBC accepts very few OOP students, probably five at the most. Rejections to follow.

U of Calgary: Looks like some rejection letters have already been sent, with interview notices expected to be sent around the end of February. 1200 total applicants, about 240 will be interviewed, and roughly 40 OOP students will be interviewed, with 15 OOP students being accepted. 85 in-province students will also be accepted.

U of Alberta: No information.

U of Saskatchewan: No information.

U of Manitoba: Interviews have started to be sent, with more forthcoming. Total of 570 applicants, with 150-200 people being invited for interviews. Rejection letters to follow.

U of Toronto: Rejections for sure. Don't know about interviews.

McMaster: Rejections for sure. Interviews possibly in March?

Queens: Interviews have been sent. No idea about rejections. MCAT cutoffs this year were: Verbal - 10, Physical Sciences - 9, Biological Sciences - 9 and the total of the three scores must be at least 30.

U of Ottawa: No information. Gpa cutoffs seem to be 3.86 for OOP students, 3.8 for Ottawa residents, and 3.5 for French applicants.

UWO: Rejections for sure. Don't know about interviews.

McGill: No information.

Dalhousie: No information.

Memorial: Interviews have been granted, and will continue to be given until the end of March. Rejection letters should come at that time. 600 applications, for which 50 interviews to out-of-provincers will be given. 3-5 OOP students will be accepted.

That's all for now. Don't forget that just because a med school has started sending letters, that they are finished with the process. UBC has been interviewing since January, but they could also send you an invite for interviews next month.

Ian

Can, MS2

PS: To everyone out there reading this message board, JOIN IN! Using your real name and e-mail address is optional!

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Kirsteen, Can MBA

Date:***2/12/2001 8:02 am*PST

Hello,

U. of Alberta: they began sending out their initial batch of rejection letters in November. I have no information as to when their interview requests will be sent.

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*JN

Date:***2/12/2001 6:36 pm*PST

Has anyone received a rejection letter from MAC? The first rejection letters (for those below the 3.0 cut-off)went out a few weeks ago,I believe. What about the rejection letters for the interview? Anyone...?

JN

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*dl

Date:***2/13/2001 12:13 am*PST

have ottawa rejections been sent out yet or just interviews?? Does everyone with the minimum GPA receive an interview at ottawa?

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*j

Date:***2/13/2001 6:05 pm*PST

i think they look at the auto besides the gpa... the latter is 50% so i'm sure you would get an interview... but don't quote me

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*kim

Date:***2/13/2001 3:25 pm*PST

How does Ottawa acceptance/rejection work? Does everyone with the GPA cutoff of 3.89 receive an interview?

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Dan

Date:***2/13/2001 10:49 am*PST

Have heard that rejections to Mac will be mailed next week...can't vouch for its accuracy though.

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*j

Date:***2/12/2001 6:45 pm*PST

3.89, for in ottawa 3.76, if your french and applying to french program 3.50.

I'm glad I didn't apply this year... they didn't get my money!!! I knew that I wasn't going to have the +3.80...

good luck everyone... hang in there!

JN wrote:

-------------------------------

Has anyone received a rejection letter from MAC? The first rejection letters (for those below the 3.0 cut-off)went out a few weeks ago,I believe. What about the rejection letters for the interview? Anyone...?

JN

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*lynn

Date:***2/16/2001 10:53 am*PST

what do you know about the rejections that were sent out from uoft? were they random or were they just the people that did not meet the minimum (i.e GPA/MCAT)?

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*jeniah

Date:***2/16/2001 3:16 pm*PST

i doubt they were just "random" rejections! people i have heard of receiving them admitted to having fairly non-competitive GPAs, don't know about their MCATs.

western rejections have started to come out, i think anyone who does not meet the cutoffs on their webpage can expect one.

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Random

Date:***2/17/2001 8:52 pm*PST

Both U of Calgary and U of Saskatchewan have definitely sent out their letters of rejection for OOP students.

As an OOP your application needed to fall within the top 10% of all applicants after meeting the following basic requirements:

1) 3.50 GPA in 2 best years (full course load)

2) No lower than 8 in any section of the MCAT and no lower than Q on the essay.

U of Sask is more clear cut. As an OOP your application need meet only basic requirement:

88% average in latest 2 years of study (full course load).

Good luck to those in the running.

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Kirsteen, Can MBA

Date:***2/19/2001 11:47 am*PST

Hello,

I have just received some updates from UBC and Memorial Admissions...

UBC: the selection process is continuing and more interview invitations will be heralded right up until the beginning of April via phone or e-mail. All rejection letters will be sent by the end of April.

Memorial: final selections are ongoing for the interview invitations. For out-of-province applicants, this selection process should be complete within the next two weeks. By the end of March or beginning of April, applicants should be in receipt of their letters, either way.

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*lynn

Date:***2/20/2001 8:37 am*PST

Does anyone know anything about Mcmaster? Are they sending out letters any time soon? What about the next batch of Toronto letters?

Thanks for all your help.

Good luck to all.

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Random

Date:***2/21/2001 12:24 am*PST

Has anyone received any letters from the University of Western Ontario yet?

I hear that rejections have already been sent out and interview letters are in the mail.

I also heard they cut down the number of interviews by 100 people this year. Again, this is something I heard, not something I know.

If you are applying to UWO and have heard something, please reply.

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*kate

Date:***2/21/2001 12:31 am*PST

I heard that all rejections had already been sent out. From that information I figured that those who had not been rejected had received an interview. I know that very few people met the western cutoffs this year-as far as I know, they are interviewing all of them.

Hope this helps,

Kate

Archived