Premed 101 Forums

Number of Applicants for 2006

Guest Elaine I

Guest Elaine I

The number of applicants to Ontario medical schools has now been released (on the UWO website):

There were 5563 applications to Ontario medical schools, a 14.5% increase from 2005.

McMaster - 4608

NOSM - 2055

Ottawa - 3165

Queen's - 2205

Toronto - 2751

UWO - 2523 (35% increase from 2005)

Source: Dean's Report November 2005 (http://www.med.uwo.ca/Administation then click Dean's Office and Dean's Report November 2005)

Elaine

• 7 months later...

That is not true.

The Macleans ranking has nothing to do with medical school. They were only putting U of T (the entire school) within the medical/doctoral category because the faculties are more representative (I think).

BTW, U of T (and a few other schools) are withdrawing from the Macleans rankings next/this year.

The reason Mac has so many applicants is because of its deceptively low cut off GPA.

Hey,

Daryn is correct- the reason why so many people apply to Mac is because Mac doesn't have any pre-reqs, doesn't require an MCAT and has a hope-inspiring low GPA cutoff- at least this was the case back when I was applying (2001). With this situation, basically anyone with decent marks can apply, and they usually do. Schools with more rigorous pre-requisites (ie: MCAT) generally get fewer applications because students self-select themselves out because of having not written the MCAT or have too low a score to be considered.

The popularity of Mac has nothing to do with the MacLean's ranking (which are bunk anyway, as all of us know).

Best of luck!

Timmy

I agree with the above posts regarding McMaster's admission policy. Just to add a bit more:

Although Mac doesn't yet require MCAT (they are considering looking at applicants' verbal reasoning scores in the near future) and doesn't have a high GPA cut-off, the average GPA of enetering class that started in 2005 was the highest in Mac's history, perhaps even one of the highest in Canada, if not North America.

PDF file of the breakdown based on marks/degree/age can be found here:

http://65.39.131.180/Admin/Assets/DisplayAsset.aspx?id=6f42ef8e-8ae0-4b8c-83b3-081f5dd65a7b

I heard that Mac has made some significant changes to the admisson policy for 2006 so GPA will no longer be weighed as heavily as 2005. Nonetheless, the trend for Mac has been putting more and more emphasis on GPA...

Hey,

I agree. It does garner a lot of false hope, doesn't it? It also generates a lot of extra application fee$, though!

That said, I'm sure that there are the odd few people who manage to get in with GPAs of less than 3.3 or so. Not sure how many, but I imagine that it's possible.

Best of luck!

Timmy

Yea, Mcleans as nothing to do with the medical school rankings. I'm glad that a number of schools have decided to pull out of the rankings (and not just schools that are typically ranked low, but a whole array). Anyways, UofT and Mac both have very competitive GPA requirements. Mac gets a number of applicants, but from what I've been told, as a generalization, the class tends to be older.

Archived