Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS Verification Letter converts American grades too low

Guest MegaDreamer

Guest MegaDreamer

I received my OMSAS Verification letter today. I took a 6-credit summer course at an American university, which has only five possible grades: A, B, C, D, E. I got an A, which according to the American university, is a 4.0 GPA, but the OMSAS letter says it has been changed to 3.9. This is especially annoying since I got 98% in the class, yet it is still only counts as 3.9. Queens and Mac actually do count summer courses.

Is this normal, or should I pursue the matter with OMSAS?

Hi,

A friend of mine that's in med right now had the same issue, because his first undergrad degree was at an american school. Anyway, they never did change it for him, which totally sucks. But you can always try and get them to change it, I mean if you don't try you never know.

Good luck.

M.

Guest docofmedicine

I'm in the same boat, applying from American university. For my first 2 years, my school gave out A+ but now they eliminated that only on have As. Either way, A+ and A both counted 4.0, but OMSAS converted all of my As to 3.9, which lowered my GPA drastically.

So now I'm begging my teachers to change my 2 A+ back to A's so I won't get penalized for my good grades. how absurd!>:

• 8 months later...

I think OMSAS tends to generally lower a bunch of schools marks a bit. I got my marks lowered too. For A+ we get a 4.0, but for A we only get a 3.80. Personally I think it should be 3.85 but it happens - you just deal with it. This is why most schools have weighting formulas, they recognize you make mistakes that may not accurately reflect your true ability so they give you a chance to get them removed.

Archived